New to ducks and loving every minute!!

Penguinlvrparadise

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Bedford Co PA
I asked my husband about month and half ago if I could get 2 ducks. He said sure. I was so excited and the excitement kept building until I was able to find a TSC with baby ducks left. I drove 120 miles round trip to get baby mallards. Every place closer was out and I didn't want to wait for the next shipment.
My family fell in love with them and three days later I am driving another 80 miles round trip to another county to get 4 baby Pekins. Now our family has grown by 10 and I only intended to have 2. LOL:D My kids just love the ducks. I can't keep my daughter away from them.

My husband got involved and started planning a home for them. And while he was planning he decided to make it big enough if we decide to get more!! LOL The house and run was finished this weekend and we moved our babies in. My hubby has been outside on and off for the last 2 days checking on them and making sure they have everything they need. I think my husband has the bird bug and wants to get every kind of duck he can find and he now wants chickens and geese and swans.
lol.png
Hope this bug is not contagious.
Here is a picture of the beautiful house and run he built for the babies. We still need to paint the house and stain the run. He did such a great job on it.
(Well I wanted to post pictures but I received an error that brand new members can't post pics.
sad.png
)
Would love to find some fellow bird lover friends to chat with!

Quote:
Im new to ducks as well! im pretty sure i have th okay from my parents to hatch a few cayuga eggs in my home made incubator in the next coupe months and i am so excited as well! i hope your ducks do well! good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Woo Hoo. It worked this time. I guess they didn't want me to put pics on my very first post.
tongue.png

Here are the pics I wanted to put in my story:
88682_pix0027.jpg

My mallards when i brought them home

88682_pix0030.jpg

My daughter with all the babies....while I was cleaning their brooder.

Their first bath:
88682_pix0034.jpg

My babies now:
88682_pix0018.jpg

I bought them the plastic pool tonight and put their favorite snack in it...frozen peas.

We home to build them a real pond next summer. For now they will have to settle for the pool and the creek.

You are only feeding my excitement over getting some ducklings. What is the age of the later pics? Wondering how fast they'll grow. What did you start feeding them, and what do you feed now? I can't wait!! Yours are beautiful!

You are only feeding my excitement over getting some ducklings! What is the age of the later pics? Wondering how fast they'll grow. What did you start feeding them, and what do you feed now? I can't wait!! Yours are beautiful!

Quote:
The latest pics were just taken LAST NIGHT!! I got them on March 12th. So they grew that big in a little over a month and half. I have feed them Purina flock raiser since I brought them home. THey really started to grow fast when I started feeding them their treats (at least it seemed that way). I feed them bananas, frozen peas, frozen corn, milworms and cracked corn as treats only. Main food is the flock raiser. They are awesome pets. The Pekin ducks would let you cuddle them. The mallards do not tolerate much attention. They come to me when I talk and let me pick them up and that is all. Pekin ducks will let you do a lot more. They seem to relax when you pick them up and will even "talk" to me when I hold them. My buddy duck gets so comfortable when I am holding him that he will prune his feathers and talk to me and just stay in my arms.
big_smile.png

Love them!!

Oh wow, I had heard they grew fast but I had no idea they grew that fast! We have four Cayugas coming this week and haven't even started on their house yet. We are hoping to get most of it done this weekend, looks like we better hurry! I love the look on your daughter's face....my kids are so excited they have been jumping up every time the phone rang today hoping it was the post office!

Back
Top Bottom