NEW TO DUCKS.......... Any Advice??!?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ok, I am totally new to ducks, just a few questions.....

What are the best breeds around children?

Will my ducks fight with my chickens if I put them in together?

Can I get a drake and have him in with my rooster with out them fighting?

Are ducks like chickens and will they lay eggs for eating without a drake, and if there WAS a drake, would the eggs be fertile?

Thank you all in advance! I am SO new to ducks, only had three two or three years ago, but I don;t know a thing about them! Well except they're cute....... lol. Thanks everyone! So greatful! I want some for my 5 year old and once we raise them for awhile, we are gonna try incubating some. Once that happens, you willl see another thread on about 50 million questions on how to incubate them! I am thinking just on going to TSC to get some ducks from there, but now I think I should order specific breeds online. Any advice on that? Thanks everyone for any advice!!!

Grace

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You might try Metzer Farms

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I have tried Metzers. The ducks I want are $7.50 each, and you have to get a minimum order of like 30 I think. I do not want to spend that much money....... do you have any answers for my questions? Thanks for the quick response!!!!!!

4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Oh I am SO sorry Kevin565! I didn't know you answered the questions!!!! So sorry.... I need to look harder! Thanks!

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thank you Kevin!

6. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    I can tell you that MY ducks (Indian Runners) are fine with my chickens. I have them sleep in the same coop at night, and free range during the day, so they have plenty of space to get away from each other if need be. The only problem I ran into: one of my ducks died, leaving my drake with just two instead of three ducks, so he started chasing two of my bantam hems around. Not sure if he was trying to mate or not, but I bought two more IRs for him and he's since left the chickens alone. As for breeds....not sure about that, I like the IRs, they're fun to watch, and seem fine around my kids (I have four kids ages 10,8,4,and 5.5)... so again, I can only give you personal experience.

Hope this helps a little!

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can order as few as 2 ducks from Metzer Farms. There is a min order and shipping 2 will cost about $60.
    Pekins are great ducks for kids, but many breeds will be fine. Especially if you only raise a few at a time and spend lots of hands on time with them.

Girls will lay eggs without a drake. With a drake they could be fertile eggs.

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Oh
    You can order as few as 2 ducks from Metzer Farms. There is a min order and shipping 2 will cost about $60.
    Pekins are great ducks for kids, but many breeds will be fine. Especially if you only raise a few at a time and spend lots of hands on time with them.

Girls will lay eggs without a drake. With a drake they could be fertile eggs.
    [/quote maybe cause it was colder.....

9. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thabks
    I can tell you that MY ducks (Indian Runners) are fine with my chickens. I have them sleep in the same coop at night, and free range during the day, so they have plenty of space to get away from each other if need be. The only problem I ran into: one of my ducks died, leaving my drake with just two instead of three ducks, so he started chasing two of my bantam hems around. Not sure if he was trying to mate or not, but I bought two more IRs for him and he's since left the chickens alone. As for breeds....not sure about that, I like the IRs, they're fun to watch, and seem fine around my kids (I have four kids ages 10,8,4,and 5.5)... so again, I can only give you personal experience.

Hope this helps a little!
    [/Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    Make sure you keep an eye on your ducks for a week or 2 to make sure they don't escape or hurt themselves in their new environment!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by