new to ducks looking at runners.

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
Hi have not been on this forum in a long time. I am thinking about getting ducks. not real sure what I need to do and breed to get I am looking at runners. I live country I have a creek that has flowing water all year round. I also have a good chickens goats and mini donkeys. I have an english shepard and am training it to herd I think the runner ducks from all I have read would be choice for her to practice with. and obviously she would be leashed and no harm would come to the ducks. Any opinion on if these are a good choice or sugestions on a better breed.

I personally have zero experience training herding dogs (except cattle dogs) but I have quite a few people who buy ducks from me to use for that purpose. Almost every single person has bought runners from me for that. The only other breed I had someone buy to train their dog with were pekins but that's mainly because she wanted a large duck that she could use for meat after.
So I am assuming that runners are a top pick for training dogs. Hopefully someone who has experience with the dogs will chime in!

wish you were closer I would get some from you

smile.png
Thanks!
Look on here as well as craigslist. You may be able to find a breeder or someone who raises them close to you

I have only had issues with ducklings in the really cold months. But this time of the year should be ok for them
And I would highly recommend paying a little extra and having them shipped with grow-gel. They always seem to do better for me when shipped with it

Metzers is a great start. They have runners in many different colors (if that matters) and if you do lose some in transit (even if it's just one) they will refund you.
And just from past experiences from me receiving shipped ducklings as well as sending them, they tend to fare best if shipped in larger groups. I only ship 10 or more as they have a much easier time keeping each other warm. Just a thought

Runners are awesome have 7 they are excellent foragers but are quick they scoot from point a to point b in a flash. I've had 17 ducks shipped from 2 hatcheries from October - February metzers or ducks for backyards both great co. With a replacement policy. Haven't lost any threw mail highly recommend gro gel and I'd get at least four for warmth reasons.

Back
Top Bottom