New to ducks

DuckyMama0309

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
I'm new here and did a search to see if anyone had tips as how to get my ducks to go in their pool and didn't really find the answer.

I bought my ducklings when they were 4 or 5 days old. I was told by the people at the feed store that the ducks absolutely cannot get wet until they have their adult feathers. After doing some searching online, which always brought me to these forums, I had read that people were letting their ducklings swim pretty young.

Now they are 4 weeks old and I bought them a kiddie pool a couple of days ago. I was going to let them swim yesterday but I ended up having to take one to the vet because he/she is sick. So, today I decided to try and let them swim. The problem is, they refused to get in. I picked one up and put him/her in hoping the other would follow but no luck. And the one I put in the pool didn't want to stay in so up the ramp he/she went and back in the cage it went.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can convince them to get in the pool? I did try peas, which they really love, but it didn't work. Should I perhaps try to get them to go into something smaller? Like a baby bathtub maybe?

By the way, I have a Khaki Campbell and a Rouen. The Khaki's name is Latte because he/she looked like a little coffee bean when I got it. And the Rouen's name is Squeaker because he/she squeaks all the time, I know it won't squeak forever though.

These are my babies.

Last edited:
Yeah i think it will just take time since they havent got to be in water yet at this age . Even tho mine swam a ton inside when they got out out last spring they were scared of the blue kiddy pool at first.
I put dandelions and grass and mealworms in the water. Things that float, so they could eat it from the edges. Eventually someone will get brave enough and get in .
Ducks are pretty leary of new things. It takes them a bit to get comfortable with new surroundings

Oh and cute
1f60d.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I guess I will just have to keep trying everyday until they finally decide to try. I might also try romaine lettuce since it is also one of their favorite treats.

Last edited:
I'm new here and did a search to see if anyone had tips as how to get my ducks to go in their pool and didn't really find the answer.

I bought my ducklings when they were 4 or 5 days old. I was told by the people at the feed store that the ducks absolutely cannot get wet until they have their adult feathers. After doing some searching online, which always brought me to these forums, I had read that people were letting their ducklings swim pretty young.

Now they are 4 weeks old and I bought them a kiddie pool a couple of days ago. I was going to let them swim yesterday but I ended up having to take one to the vet because he/she is sick. So, today I decided to try and let them swim. The problem is, they refused to get in. I picked one up and put him/her in hoping the other would follow but no luck. And the one I put in the pool didn't want to stay in so up the ramp he/she went and back in the cage it went.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can convince them to get in the pool? I did try peas, which they really love, but it didn't work. Should I perhaps try to get them to go into something smaller? Like a baby bathtub maybe?

By the way, I have a Khaki Campbell and a Rouen. The Khaki's name is Latte because he/she looked like a little coffee bean when I got it. And the Rouen's name is Squeaker because he/she squeaks all the time, I know it won't squeak forever though.

These are my babies.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, that ducklings can't be in the water til their feathers come in. Mother ducks will have their babies in the water within several hours of them all hatching. They can get water logged in the water without their feathers and can drown if they can't get outta the water, but this takes a long time to happen, at least a few hours. Just make sure they have a brick or rock in the pool so they can use that to stand on and get out of the pool. Otherwise, if you want them to swim, just put a ramp to the top of the pool and then start putting their food bowl at the top of the ramp. Eventually, they'll get used to the water and hop on in. You can even gently put them in the pool so they know it's meant for them to be in. They definitely are afraid of anything new though, lol.

I decided I would try something different today. I went to the dollar store and got an aluminum roaster pan and put warm water in it. It took a little convincing with some romaine lettuce to get them to even go near it. But once they were in it they realized they liked it. I only let them play in it for about 10 minutes. Once they were out they started preening themselves. And I moved the heat lamp closer to their enclosure just to make sure they didn't get a chill.

Here they are playing in the water. Although Squeaker is just laying in it in this picture but he/she was playing in it until I grabbed my phone to take pictures. :D

I decided I would try something different today. I went to the dollar store and got an aluminum roaster pan and put warm water in it. It took a little convincing with some romaine lettuce to get them to even go near it. But once they were in it they realized they liked it. I only let them play in it for about 10 minutes. Once they were out they started preening themselves. And I moved the heat lamp closer to their enclosure just to make sure they didn't get a chill.

Here they are playing in the water. Although Squeaker is just laying in it in this picture but he/she was playing in it until I grabbed my phone to take pictures. :D

Cute!!

Hey again everyone! So, the ducks are finally outside in their enclosure with a pond. They have been out there since Saturday and I still can't get them to go in the pond.

Of course it took 3 days to finally get Squeaker to go up the ramp to the pond. Squeaker did try 2 or 3 times yesterday but then jumped right out. Latte has fallen in a few times but he/she jumps right out. They both will go to the pond but all they do is drink out of it. I have tried peas, lettuce, grass, and we even put feeder fish in it.

Any other ideas on what I could do to get them to at least try to get in?

Here is a picture of them by the pond.

Last edited:
Well one of them has finally figured out what the pond is for and I can't keep him/her out of the water now. lol I am hoping the other one will realize it soon.

Here is Squeaker in the pond. And Latte is just standing on the deck drinking from the pond.

Back
Top Bottom