NEW TO DUCKS

So if the water lasted yesterday, today, and part of tomorow it should be fine for Friday, Saturday, and sunday. It might be dry monday, But even a 24 hour period with only room humidity wont be dangerous, aslong as its once throughout the incubation period

Ive had an incubator shut off completely for an 18 hour period and they all hatched

Alot of folks dont add water, and others watch the aircell develope and add/remove himidity as needed
That is what I was thinking too.

Ok...noob question...how does the aircell develop? I assume it is how they breathe before hatching, but when does the aircell start to develop?

That is what I was thinking too.

Ok...noob question...how does the aircell develop? I assume it is how they breathe before hatching, but when does the aircell start to develop?
it starts to develope as soon as its laid, your right its where the ducklings will breath when it "Internaly pips"

The duckling will be inside the inner membrane, and between the shell and the inner membrane is the air cell
egg.jpg
73bc765f4f44fe52e0fbbcd42255c2d5.jpg

If the himidity was way too low for a long period the aircell would grow to big and suffocate the duckling, or too much humidity and it doesnt grow big enough

it starts to develope as soon as its laid, your right its where the ducklings will breath when it "Internaly pips"

The duckling will be inside the inner membrane, and between the shell and the inner membrane is the air cellView attachment 2008301View attachment 2008302

If the himidity was way too low for a long period the aircell would grow to big and suffocate the duckling, or too much humidity and it doesnt grow big enough

Thank you for the lesson!!

no problem anytime!
So I am getting ready to convert a woodshed into a duck house and add a run. I have a few questions.
1. The shed had lots of stuff in it like paint, bug spray, etc. There are stains on the floor. Should I replace the wood or can I lay down like linoleum?
2. How big of an area do I need for them? I will have 6 Campbells and I have 15 of the eggs that are showing veins.
3. What is the best bedding material?

I am sure I will have more questions in the next few weeks.

R&T

lets assume you get 18 or 20 ducks, Some will be males and you need about 4 females per male. in a perfect world you would pick your favorite male and find the rest homes, or whatever you plan on doing with them

so if you have 15 ducks a 6x6 would be small, 8x8 okay and 10x10 would be good, how bigs the shed?

I have a wooden floor but i wish i had linolium, or some kind of plastic or rubber that i could hose out. Anything they cant pick at and pull peices off

Wood shavings are cheap and about the best, They stay dry and easy to scoop the chunks out

lets assume you get 18 or 20 ducks, Some will be males and you need about 4 females per male. in a perfect world you would pick your favorite male and find the rest homes, or whatever you plan on doing with them

so if you have 15 ducks a 6x6 would be small, 8x8 okay and 10x10 would be good, how bigs the shed?

I have a wooden floor but i wish i had linolium, or some kind of plastic or rubber that i could hose out. Anything they cant pick at and pull peices off

the shed is a 10x8

How old do they have to be until I can start telling the males from females?

Back
Top Bottom