NEW TO DUCKS

Pics
My goodness that is some clutch! Aren’t you worried for predators to get her an her eggs ?
I am keeping an eye out for her. I also have several drakes who are never too far from her. She is also never far from them. The other times we saw a clutch none of the females would lay. This is the first time we have seen any females laying. We also marked it on our calendar to help track it too.

oh yea I forgot about them, we had 4x East indie's. Although they could be Cayuga. The previous owner called them West Indies.

How much do they weigh? East indies are much lighter then Cayugas, they are such a wonderful breed!
073.JPG

I am keeping an eye out for her. I also have several drakes who are never too far from her. She is also never far from them. The other times we saw a clutch none of the females would lay. This is the first time we have seen any females laying. We also marked it on our calendar to help track it too.

There is no way you can keep an eye on her unless you are out there 24/7. I lost a mallard this year because i let her brood outside, she came back to the coop at 4 am in the morning quacking for food, sadly my trail cam showed a fox snatching her right up.

There is no way you can keep an eye on her unless you are out there 24/7. I lost a mallard this year because i let her brood outside, she came back to the coop at 4 am in the morning quacking for food, sadly my trail cam showed a fox snatching her right up.
So sorry to hear this @MasterOfClucker.

I'
d love to see more of your ducks that East Indie is gorgeous. :love

I will get some pictures of all of our's up soon.

@MasterOfClucker You are correct, there is no way I can watch her 24/7. But here is the situation. We purchased our homestead last July and there were already an established amount of ducks and fowl here. Since then we have built an addition coop next to the very large coop that was already here. We have a large area for them to be protected from outside predators as well as a pond. They do not come too close to us since the previous owner treated them as "wild animals" and only feed them once or twice a day. They have gotten use to us, but are not 100% comfortable with us. We are hoping since we hatched out the 16 mallards and are "raising them" that the rest of the ducks will see that. We are new at this but are learning everyday with online resources, books and this forum. We are hopful that with time all of our feathered friends will accept us as one of their own.

Back
Top Bottom