New to Ducks

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
I’m getting a shipment of 15 ducklings in sometime this week and they are the first ducks I’ve ever ordered. So I was wondering what I need to know, do I let them eat and drink all they want when they arrive or monitor their intake? When can you let them swim in the bathtub? Do they make as much dust as chicks do, because they’re going to be in my house where the chicks in the past have been in the unheated garage (it was later in the spring when I got my chicks). Anything else I should know? I’m getting hatcheries choice so I’ll be posting breed ID pics later I’m sure. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the world of ducks. Erm..they wont make as much dust as chickens do, but they are alot messier, big, big poop machines, Good luck with your 15, you will find that if you are brooding them in a 45 gal tote, they will out grow that tote in a week. They are water babies and with 15 you will be changing their brooder hundreds of times a day...yes they make that much mess. I have mine in the bath once a day from a young age..youngest was 12 hours old, but other people will tell you give them upto 3 weeks before you bath them. Yes let them eat and drink all they want, what ever goes in will soon be coming out the other end en mass.
lol.png

Mine get daily swimming time when they are 3 days old. That is in warm water and watching them. Paint trays are ideal because they can get out of them. Then I paper towel each one of them and put them right back under the brooder lamp. Make sure to have a poultry pack for their first 14 days of life to fortify their drinking water. You have to make sure they are not deficient in any way.

The Duck ABC's :

Mine get daily swimming time when they are 3 days old. That is in warm water and watching them. Paint trays are ideal because they can get out of them. Then I paper towel each one of them and put them right back under the brooder lamp. Make sure to have a poultry pack for their first 14 days of life to fortify their drinking water. You have to make sure they are not deficient in any way.

I would have never thought to use a paint tray
roll.png
ACE, here I come.​

Mine don't make any dust. you can let them eat/drink 24/7. When mine were 6 dats old they wen't for their first swim. Don't get sad/mad if they don't like it (You can try adding peas to the water, and they LOVE that!).

There is a LOT of other stuff I would have liked to know before I got my ducklings, so I will try to post some things that can help.

1. When giving you ducks their first bath, don't use the sink (They get good enough footing to jump out, and spill it all over your bathroon.

2. Don't worry about the whole watter added to food, mush stuff. Just buy some regular duckling crumbles, and leave their waterer near by.

3. you can give them a bath when you think they are ready for it.

4. Once you give them a bath, try to give them one daily because mine keep getting crud stuck in their nose.

5. If you ever need a book on help I recommend this one: The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook, By Kimberly Link - 222 Pages
from- http://www.metzerfarms.com/BooksAndEquipment.cfm?Category=Book&CustID=240014

. Be very careful about predators (And noise... I don't know what it is, but when my ducklings hear the garbage truck, they run to me for cover).

7. Hold them everyday, and cuddle, talk, sing. It makes you imprint on them, and they LOVE it!

smile.png

EAT: OH and they ADORE peas!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom