New to Ducks

JulietB1

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Portland, OR
I'm getting my first ducks at the end of March and I've done a lot research, but I still have a few questions:
1) Is 4 ducks too many?
2) Should I do pairs or only one male?
3) Is a duck pen that is roughly 8x6 ft too big for 4 ducks? Or bigger the better? (there will be an outdoor run too)
4) What do I do with eggs I don't need if they are fertilized and that I don't want to hatch?

Overall, these ducks will be hand-raised so they are more like pets than for any egg or breeding purposes. I'm hoping I'm not getting in over my head with four ducks.
Thanks,
Juliet

I'm getting my first ducks at the end of March and I've done a lot research, but I still have a few questions:
1) Is 4 ducks too many?
Depends on how many you can handle at one time. I think 4 wont be hard to take care of.
2) Should I do pairs or only one male?
1 male would be best.
3) Is a duck pen that is roughly 8x6 ft too big for 4 ducks? Or bigger the better? (there will be an outdoor run too)
The bigger the better.
4) What do I do with eggs I don't need if they are fertilized and that I don't want to hatch?
Eat them, sell them, give them a way.
Overall, these ducks will be hand-raised so they are more like pets than for any egg or breeding purposes. I'm hoping I'm not getting in over my head with four ducks.
Thanks,
Juliet

Last edited:
1) Is 4 ducks too many? Should be fine. Just keep in mind that young ducklings take more work than ducks because they are VERY messy.
2) Should I do pairs or only one male? Either all girls or only 1 male.
3) Is a duck pen that is roughly 8x6 ft too big for 4 ducks? Or bigger the better? (there will be an outdoor run too) That size is fine for inside a big run will help.
4) What do I do with eggs I don't need if they are fertilized and that I don't want to hatch? Collect them daily and refrigerate them. That will prevent any incubation. They need incubation to grow.

Thanks,
Juliet

What kind of ducks are you getting? And
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

So much depends on how much space and time you have, how close the neighbors are, what kind of neighborhood, other animals, and so forth. But in general, jdywnter has said it all.

(1) I don't think 4 ducks is too many. I've had 10 ducks at one time.
(2) It would probably be best to get one male (I've had had two males with no problem, but that was with six girls). The first male I got was very active and I never had any problems with fertility.
(3) Nothing is "too big" for a duck. The more room they have to run around, the happier they will be.
(4) I have always eaten the eggs that I didn't want to hatch.

So far, I have a Khaki Campbell and a Buff Orpington reserved at the local feed store. I really want to add two Welsh Harlequins.
I already have the heat lamp and everything to take care of them while they are ducklings, and I am still working on their coop. I don't get them until March 23rd, so I have a bit of time.

Thank you all so much for the advise, I really appreciate it. If there is anything else I should know, please--please! let me know!

You should definitely get Welsh Harlequins, they are really pretty and sweet too, although mine is kind of skittish. My Khaki Campbell is pretty bold and affectionate though!

that house for the ducks is good for 4.

1 male and 3 females if ya want fertile eggs because when that male hits puberty the females are not going to get a brake for the next 3 months after.

DO NOT put their water bowl or bath in the center of the duck house or inside of it, because when they are done emptying the water there will not be a single inch of the house that isnt covered with water.

You should pick up Storey's guide to Ducks-- the old version can be had on amazon used for about 5$.
X 2. I still refer to it. Its actually on the couch next to me now.
lau.gif
It has great advice.

Do you know if the ducklings are going to be sexed or straight run? If straight run it will be the luck of the draw and you'll have to wait until they are a bit older to see if you have males or females.

Back
Top Bottom