New to Emu Keeping...Help!

Inkydragon

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
So I work at a vet clinic that treats...well, everything. So, big surprise when a lady shows up with a baby emu in a laundry basket. This one was soon joined by another a week later. Then, both Emus were boarded there for nearly two weeks until the woman decided that she had enough on her plate and didn't need them back.

Being the only one with land, I took them home, figuring that we could always just sell them...

I like them a lot. We have then penned in with the chickens during the day and in a dog crate at night. They are now almost 6 weeks old. How long until they are able to stay out at night with the chickens? Its been between 40-60 here at night lately...And quite honestly, they are not going to be able to stay in this crate for much longer, they have very swiftly outgrown it...and my basement was not cut out to be an Emu barn, LoL. In fact, tomorrow I may resort to setting up a slightly larger crate outside with shavings in the bottom and fastening a heat lamp to the top. Will this work? Our backyard is well fenced, and we have a LGD, so I am not too worried about anything getting to them.

We have not decided upon keeping them. They are cute, SO SWEET, and they are much better off at my farm here instead of the clinic, but the amount of fencing we would have to put up for them is a bit daunting...especially as I just finished putting together my chicken coop and run this spring, lol.

Your profile doesnt say what part of the world you are in so I cant judge how cold it gets there. Some parts of Australia get pretty cold at night and they can even survive in the snow around here.

Oops, sorry.

I am just outside of St. Louis, MO.
St. Louis, MO? Well, hello neighbor!
frow.gif

I would be happy to take those emus off your hands, if you want to get rid of them.

My pair of emus are 6 weeks old. I am in southwest MO (Nevada). Mine have been outside in their own coop with no heat for the past 2 weeks. Before that, they were in a garage with no heat. Actually, they had heat for only the first couple weeks.

Here they are a couple days ago. We took a walk around the lake-pond behind our house. Such a beautiful day.....

1. How long until they are able to stay out at night with the chickens?

I would not house them with chickens. Not a good idea.

2. I may resort to setting up a slightly larger crate outside with shavings in the bottom and fastening a heat lamp to the top. Will this work?
I would not use a heat lamp at all. They need to be outside RUNNING around, not in a crate. They NEED exercise..... alot of exercise.

3. We have not decided upon keeping them. They are cute, SO SWEET, and they are much better off at my farm here instead of the clinic, but the amount of fencing we would have to put up for them is a bit daunting...especially as I just finished putting together my chicken coop and run this spring, lol.
#3....... It takes ALOT of fencing. They need ALOT of room to run. Look here .....at my friend's video.

Mine use every inch of the 3 acres they have. Here's a video.

Inkydragon,

it might be wise to grab the opportunity to give these two to someone who has the room to keep them. If you read the old posts here at BYC, you’ll know that the issue of space is one that tugs at everyone’s heartstrings, that it is the only issue that causes any dissent. When you see these birds in the wild, you realise just how big a world they are genetically geared to expect. A football field is a postage stamp to them.
Bear in mind that later, if you have both the room and the inclination, you can return to BYC, to try to get some chicks, or a ‘rescue emu.’
Supreme Emu, Western Australia

I myself just got three emu chicks, they are 3 days old and starting to walk around a bit more. They havent eaten much, but im not to worried about that since most chicks live off the yolk for a couple days any ways. But I was curious about how much room I should be giving them so they can strengthen there legs. They are in a 2 by 3 box right now ready to be moved to a bigger pen when I confirm its necessary. Does anyone know the space recommendation for day old emus?
Cheers

Damion

Kathy, I don't want to seem ignorant. These guys had the full run of our acre fenced in yard when we were home and they had a 20 x 20ft run when we were not. I was never considering housing them with the chickens indefinitely, because of course their pen was too small. I did want them to be familiar with my chickens, though. The dog crate/lamp was something I wanted to do for them at NIGHT, so they had a warn shelter to sleep in, since it was still cold here at night and I do not have a garage attached to my house. They were swiftly outgrowing the basement pen.

I took them in because they were housed in a 2ft x 2ft cage at the clinic and I was aware they needed space to develop properly. I happen to be the only person at my work place who has land, so I took them home where they could grow properly until I found something else to do with them.

We have 5 acres, its not as though we did not have the space. It was the cost of the 6ft fence that put us off. We will fence in our land eventually, but it was just too soon financially at this time.

Both Emus have found a great home, and they were a joy to keep while we had them. I will miss the little buggers!

I also have a queastion about keeping Emu's. We are very interested in getting a pair and have a very large aviary for such a purpose. What type of ground cover can they be on safely. We have small pea gravel in that particular pen and was wondering if that would be hard on there feet or would they possibly eat it?

I also have a queastion about keeping Emu's. We are very interested in getting a pair and have a very large aviary for such a purpose. What type of ground cover can they be on safely. We have small pea gravel in that particular pen and was wondering if that would be hard on there feet or would they possibly eat it?

they will probably eat some... as for it being hard on their feet.. well.. they kinda have dino feet.. lol.. pretty tough with evil toenails.. even the babies can drawl blood pretty easily if they decide to squirm... will they have access to grass and dirt?.. they do like to dust bathe plus wallow in mud puddles and also go swimming if given a chance

I think everyone here pretty much keeps theirs on dirt (with grass and weeds naturally) since most of us have several acres to dedicate to them...

how large is the "aviary"?

Back
Top Bottom