New to everything, already need help

JKLanier84

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
So my wife and I just got out first flock of chicks. We have a coule acres in Central Florida, and hope to have all manner of livestock eventually, but figured we would start with chickens. Well, besides our two dogs.

Ordered 18, a mix of assorted 6 brown, 6 white, and 6 easter eggers. Lost one a day for the first three days, but were at 5 weeks and we still have 15. We moved them outside Sunday afternoon. (It's now Tuesday afternoon)
They spent the first night in the coop, quite happy. Next day they discovered the small run, again, happy chicks.

Problem is, now theyre outside in the small run (fully encolsed) and wont go back in the coop at night. Luckily I kept them locked out of the big run (not closed in from above). We got worried they would get dehydrated in the Florida heat (its already 90 and humid here) so we put the water under the coop where they could get to it. I have read that I probably should have locked them in the coop for a few days, but that ship has sailed. I will be trying a light in the coop this eveining to try and draw them back in.

Any advice on how to keep my babies happy and healthy?

TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20220517_200750175.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220517_200750175.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220517_200826193.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220517_200826193.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220515_172435544.jpg
    PXL_20220515_172435544.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220515_173140255.jpg
    PXL_20220515_173140255.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome!
I learned recently that just because chicks learn how to come out the door doesn't mean they know how to go back in. ;) You will most likely have to catch them and put them back in yourself until they figure it out. Hopefully your chicks won't take as long as mine did. :D

You'll probably have to pick them up and put them inside the coop a few times before they get the hang of going into it by themselves.
Had to do this for my recent batch. It does become easier once you have an established flock - they tend to learn from the big ones.

One note on your coop is that it have a very "open" feel to it. Great for when they are big, but perhaps a bit too open for when they are little. Maybe add a cardboard box to hide under for the time being - this will give them a confined space to hide in and they may find the coop a bit more enjoyable. This is coming from my little ones often piling up in the nest boxes which doesn't look doable here with them being raised. Then of course, age will happen and they will eventually move to the roost bars.

Hello and welcome!
I learned recently that just because chicks learn how to come out the door doesn't mean they know how to go back in. ;) You will most likely have to catch them and put them back in yourself until they figure it out. Hopefully your chicks won't take as long as mine did. :D
Looks like we're about to become chicken wranglers... Let the fun begin!

Back
Top Bottom