New to everything chicken and in LOVE!

brandiskip

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2015
Gone country! Hi I'm Brandi and I live in east TN. Earlier this year when tractor supply came out with all their new little chicks, I decided to buy 6 and give it a go. 5 more birds later and a couple gone, I'm loving everything chicken and yes, even quail.

Hi :welcome Brandi

Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like chicken math has you already! They can become very addictive and flocks grow so fast. Mine certainly did without me even realising it had!! I have hatched and raised some quail before too and they were lovely little birds to keep. You might like to drop by the quail section for all the chat about them. Here is the link ~
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Wishing you the very best of luck. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC, Brandi. Glad you decided to join our flock. We are have OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder) here at BYC and very few of us are immune to chicken math. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to have a place to go to for help. I've used the website several times but finally decided to join.
Bejammie: I have 4 girls that I call "The Red." They are part of the original 6. I've seen them called Golden Comets. Then I have an Orpington my neighbor gave me since her dog is why 2 of my 6 reds didn't make it. I also have 2 Easter Eggers and a new rooster. I'm really not sure what he is.
Yorkshire Coop: I have two button quail. A male and a female. They are 7 weeks old and I can't wait for the female to start laying. I definitely see an incubator in my future :)

Hi, welcome to the site. I too suffer from chicken math, started with five, went up to 15 and lost a few due to them being roosters. Now we are at 9, with 3-5 eggs daily. Can't wait until the last few start laying more regularly. Its so exciting to have eggs in our own backyard!

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to have a place to go to for help. I've used the website several times but finally decided to join.
Bejammie: I have 4 girls that I call "The Red." They are part of the original 6. I've seen them called Golden Comets. Then I have an Orpington my neighbor gave me since her dog is why 2 of my 6 reds didn't make it. I also have 2 Easter Eggers and a new rooster. I'm really not sure what he is.
Yorkshire Coop: I have two button quail. A male and a female. They are 7 weeks old and I can't wait for the female to start laying. I definitely see an incubator in my future
smile.png

You're welcome. I'm sorry about the loss of two of your flock. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those four girls. :eek:)

You're welcome. I'm sorry about the loss of two of your flock. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those four girls. :eek:)

Thanks! I was heartbroken over my loss. Annie quickly became my favorite girl and she was one that I loss. The dog broke off his leash. It was no ones fault but my sweet neighbor got rid of the dog after that incident. All the reds are laying now except one. One of them actually laid her first egg today so I'm up to 5 a day! Yay!

Sorry about your loss but, sounds like your neighbor was truly sorry about it. Just hope he doesn't get a replacement dog that loves (?) chicken. So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock
ya.gif

Thanks! I was heartbroken over my loss. Annie quickly became my favorite girl and she was one that I loss. The dog broke off his leash. It was no ones fault but my sweet neighbor got rid of the dog after that incident. All the reds are laying now except one. One of them actually laid her first egg today so I'm up to 5 a day! Yay!

You're welcome, and congratulations! It's always so "egg"citing to see a pullet lay that first egg. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom