New to Everything Chicken

bobchell

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Mountain Home, Idaho
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Everyone! My name is Michelle and my husband is Bob. We just moved to 5 acres in Mountain Home, Idaho and plan to have a "mini ranch" in the spring. The house we bought in July has been vacant for a year so there was much work that needed to be done and we didn't move in until July 27th so it was too late to start chickens or a garden last year. We are planning to have chickens in the spring, I guess about 3-4. I am not sure exactly what breed right now as long as they lay brown eggs. Our main reason for wanting the chickens is for the eggs. My hubby and I have noticed a huge difference in them and I can't even eat the ones from the store anymore unless they are baked/cooked into something, my stomach does NOT like them, lol! My husband eats a lot of eggs a day being a semi-vegetarian as I call him, lol! It is one of his main sources of protein so it is important to us that they are "good" eggs. I found BackYardChickens.com back in April when we originally found this property and realized our dream of having chickens might come true but I have to say I am really intimidated right now on how to start. Both of us grew up near Washington, D.C. in the suburbs and never had chickens, we have been in Idaho for 25 years now but never had room for them. Funny how we both always wanted them though, lol! Now that we have the 5 acres we have the room for sure!

Just a little background info on us, I have been married for 27 years to Bob and we have 2 grown children ages 26 and 22 years. My oldest is married and my 22 year old bops between Boise and our new house in Mountain Home. I lost my job as a Medical Biller a year ago but due to some medical conditions I have not gone back to work. It actually, for me and my hubby, has turned out to be for the best especially now that we have our mini ranch I am staying busy and will be even busier in the spring :) We have 2 dogs, Bear who will be 15 years old in December and Ebby who will be 4 years old in December also. Ebby is a black lab/whippet mix and she is another reason we wanted more land, she is very hyper! She loves having the room to run around here. We also have 2 indoor cats. Some of our hobbies, besides the mini ranch, is riding our Harley and taking our 14 foot boat out fishing. Most of our family is back east, Virginia and North Carolina and about once a year I go to visit my parents in New Bern, North Carolina.

I am so excited to have found this site! I am a little overwhelmed and we have a LOT to do to get started so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Think I need the Chicken for Dummies book, lol! Hoping to find out a lot and make some new friends :)

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Michelle

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!!
Glad you joined us.

Last edited:
Welcome, Michelle!

You will certainly learn a lot here. Since you have not started, take time to read about the different chicken coops people have built and what features are most important. You will want to especially pay attention to discussions on ventilation and predator protection. Knowing about these ahead of time will save you a lot of anguish later. (I wish I had).

Anyway, welcome and enjoy!

Denis

welcome-byc.gif

You'll find tons of information on the various breeds under the Breeds tab. Also check out the Learning Center for some pretty easy to read and helpful pointers.

For brown eggs, I love the old standby's like Rhode Island Reds (RIR), Barred Rocks (BR) and Wyandottes. We just got some Dominiques for the first time this year. If you're not concerned about purebreds, the Gold Stars I've had lay huge eggs and are pretty regular layers once they start...and they start earlier than many breeds.

Consider some heritage breeds...check out the ALBC website ( http://albc-usa.org/ to see the critical, threatened, watch and recovering lists for some ideas. If I had it to do over again (victim of serious chicken math on my husband's part!), I would start with a small flock of one or two heritage breeds from a breeder rather than from a hatchery. We raised chickens 20+ years ago and just got back into it this year. We never knew how many other breeds existed.

Enjoy your new country home and chicken adventures!
D.gif

Thank you all for the warm welcome and tips. We will be checking all of it out for sure. Need to build our coop and make sure the chickens are protected. I know for a fact there are Hawks, Ravens, Coyotes, Badgers and Skunks here and I don't even want to mention snakes *ugh!* And the breed info is so helpful also because I don't know where to start there. This site is so wonderful and has so much info! Thanks again for the information and the welcomes
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom