New to form Florda Cracker here.

Just imagine the one that homesteaded here. My family moved here in the late 40s, Not many here that were born here. Cubans are still coming. If ac was never invented, I would still be living in the country.
My grandparents raised me. They were of the Depression/WWII generation. Theirs was the last generation in Florida to homestead off the land out of necessity. My dad’s generation did a shadow of it mostly for fun. My generation experienced even less of it than my dad’s. So I’m raising my daughter is the most remote part of Florida I could move to and still work so that she gets more of a flavor of it.

But Old Florida is almost gone. Too much population growth and development too fast. Even into the 1990s, much of north Florida was subtropical wilderness. I saw it mostly be destroyed in my lifetime.

Many think Florida is the citrus state. Cattle is bigger still.
It was both, I was talking to Mr. lee "you're an old Timer" Meaning my family been here a long time. I actually recognize some of the family names in the old FL book in the museum at Fort Christmas. Florida use to have more farmers and more cattle. Mr lee's grandfather came down here during the depression and did good muck farming. Of course they ended up in cattle. There was a lot of crops grown in this state.

Back
Top Bottom