New to forum and to broody hens....

Ayshii

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Hi everyone! This is my first time on the forums and my first year with broody hens. My flock consists of 1 rooster (buff Orpington), 1 new Hampshire red (with 2 chicks a week old), 1 black laced Wyandotte ( no chicks), and another black laced Wyandotte (with 4-2 week old chicks). Currently I have both moms with their chicks seperated from each other. My question is when will I be able to introduce everyone back together again without the moms fighting each other. All are in the same coop but are seperated. I feel bad for the moms having to stay in such a small area. Any responses are greatly appreciated!

You could try it now if you wish. I've always had my broodies raise their chicks in with the flock. The mamas protect the chicks from other hens, chasing them off if they get too close. Probably the main danger is someone attacking the chicks. Somteimes two mama hens will actually share mothering duties; this is what hapened to me the onl time I had more than one mama and chicks. Sometimes the rooster helps with the chicks. There is really no predicting how it will turn out.

Hi everyone! This is my first time on the forums and my first year with broody hens. My flock consists of 1 rooster (buff Orpington), 1 new Hampshire red (with 2 chicks a week old), 1 black laced Wyandotte ( no chicks), and another black laced Wyandotte (with 4-2 week old chicks). Currently I have both moms with their chicks seperated from each other. My question is when will I be able to introduce everyone back together again without the moms fighting each other. All are in the same coop but are seperated. I feel bad for the moms having to stay in such a small area. Any responses are greatly appreciated!

How did the hens get on before going broody? If I was you I would give it a try now and see what happens. If the mothers fight, let them so they know whos boss out the two. After that just leave them as long as they don't attack each others chicks. Its ok if they give them a peck when at feeding stations ect. But if they start running around trying to attack them, then seperate them again. If it does go like that, maybes you could do a rotation and have one mam locked up one day with the other in the coop?

Sooner is better, imo. I don't separate broodies, just let them raise chicks in the flock and have only once had a problem. Put one hen and chicks in today, wait 2-3 days, put the other momma in. it's really best for chicks to grow up in a flock, not just segregated with momma. My roosters have always been protective of the chicks, also, not letting any hens get after them too hard.

Sooner is better, imo. I don't separate broodies, just let them raise chicks in the flock and have only once had a problem. Put one hen and chicks in today, wait 2-3 days, put the other momma in. it's really best for chicks to grow up in a flock, not just segregated with momma. My roosters have always been protective of the chicks, also, not letting any hens get after them too hard.

I just let mine bring them up straight away too! I give them until week old and then they are in for good! (just so they are strong enough to take a peck)

Back
Top Bottom