New to forum from IN

InviteTanner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
I had chickens as a child, and my husband and I have a 13-acre farm now that needs chickens roaming the barnyard. He's a city boy and says he could care less about having animals, but he doesn't know that I catch him enjoying them.

I ordered 25 mixed chicks from McMurray Hatchery about three weeks ago, and I'm enjoying them so much that I've ordered 25 mixed bantams from them and they're due here next week. I'll let them grow up and this fall I'll put an ad on Craigslist to thin down the herd a bit.

We have show horses as well, but they're at the trainer's so much that I only see them at the shows. It will be nice to have something to enjoy here on the farm. After reading multiple catalogs from hatcheries and spending hours on the Internet, I'd have to say that my favorite bird appearance-wise is the Sumatra.

I know I'll need a chicken house, but for now I have them in one of the barn's empty horse stalls under heat lamps. I sit down with them and it's not long before they're pecking at my shoes and sitting on my outstretched legs. One chick is getting wing feathers that are buff with gray tips, and it is extremely friendly. I can pick it up and cradle it on my lap. It will fall asleep and doesn't make a sound when I touch it.

I look forward to seeing pictures of other forum members' chickens, and definitely learning what breeds I have. The only thing I can tell that I have in my bunch is a black cochin, a partridge cochin, and a buff orpington. The rest are still a mystery.

welcome-byc.gif
Isn't it amazing how relaxing little chicks can be? Enjoy your flock!

Welcome from Northern California.
frow.gif
You will need to make sure they have housing that is secure from predators. A fox or raccoons can decimate a flock in no time.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio
frow.gif
Thanks for sharing the little chick story. DW would probably give me the boot if I suddenly got 50 new chicks to raise. However, I did have just about that many the first ones I had at this farmette, but now I try to keep the number under 25. Oh, and they do grow on a person, so DH will probably be secretly loving them too.

Back
Top Bottom