New to forum, not to chickens....

Iggys Acres

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Texas
Hi all! I've read threads here for the last year or so and finally decided to make an account to post questions and get more information. I've been a poultry addict since I was a child and even kept a Mcmurray hatchery catalog on my bedside table to look at at night! I finally got my first birds about 6 years ago. A coop of 8 hens and a covey of 6 quail has turned into:
5 pairs of bobwhite, though I've raise coturnrix in the past
a trio and a group of 5 normal and trio of black mutant ring-neck pheasants
a pair of bourbon red turkeys
a pair of black Cayuga ducks
a little flock of Muscovy's
and for chickens: a flock of cuckoo marans
2 flocks of ameraucanas
a mixed egg laying flock, predominantly Rhode Island Red, but with barred rocks, black australopes, red productions, and a couple anconas
starting a flock of speckled sussex, possibly some wyandottes, a breeding group of silkies, and diving into the bantam cochins with an odd rooster I came across for sale, and later realized he was a mille fleur!
I had a pair of ring neck doves that an owl ate, so tried a pair of homing pigeons, which an snake killed one, and the second flew the coop never to return... My dove/pigeon plans are on hold currently, lol

I'm outside of Dallas Texas, and have a small farm-ful of other critters including horses, barbado sheep, a goat and rabbits. I do raise fowl as a hobby, but also to butcher. I try to feed all natural and organic in my programs pending availability and cost, I've also delved into the realms of mixing my own feed, but still rely on premixed to ensure nutritional balances at this time. I have been incubating eggs for the last couple years as well. Maybe one day I'll try my hand at showing birds but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm hoping to keep learning, meet people with similar interests, and continue having fun as a poultry addict!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, Iggys Acres, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Wow! You have a lot going on!! Good luck to you and your various poultry!!

Back
Top Bottom