New to forum, not to chickens....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Iggys Acres, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Iggys Acres

Iggys Acres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Texas
    Hi all! I've read threads here for the last year or so and finally decided to make an account to post questions and get more information. I've been a poultry addict since I was a child and even kept a Mcmurray hatchery catalog on my bedside table to look at at night! I finally got my first birds about 6 years ago. A coop of 8 hens and a covey of 6 quail has turned into:
    5 pairs of bobwhite, though I've raise coturnrix in the past
    a trio and a group of 5 normal and trio of black mutant ring-neck pheasants
    a pair of bourbon red turkeys
    a pair of black Cayuga ducks
    a little flock of Muscovy's
    and for chickens: a flock of cuckoo marans
    2 flocks of ameraucanas
    a mixed egg laying flock, predominantly Rhode Island Red, but with barred rocks, black australopes, red productions, and a couple anconas
    starting a flock of speckled sussex, possibly some wyandottes, a breeding group of silkies, and diving into the bantam cochins with an odd rooster I came across for sale, and later realized he was a mille fleur!
    I had a pair of ring neck doves that an owl ate, so tried a pair of homing pigeons, which an snake killed one, and the second flew the coop never to return... My dove/pigeon plans are on hold currently, lol

I'm outside of Dallas Texas, and have a small farm-ful of other critters including horses, barbado sheep, a goat and rabbits. I do raise fowl as a hobby, but also to butcher. I try to feed all natural and organic in my programs pending availability and cost, I've also delved into the realms of mixing my own feed, but still rely on premixed to ensure nutritional balances at this time. I have been incubating eggs for the last couple years as well. Maybe one day I'll try my hand at showing birds but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm hoping to keep learning, meet people with similar interests, and continue having fun as a poultry addict!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Iggys Acres, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Wow! You have a lot going on!! Good luck to you and your various poultry!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    I second that Wow!! You must be very busy.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by