New to Forum

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Claudias Coop, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    I am brand new to this forum & my first chicken expierience. I thought I would get some chickens for fresh eggs, but I am finding out there is a whole lot to know about this endevour.
    So I have ordered my coop 80"x32"x48". I only plan to get a few pullets to start & see how things go. I live in No. California & am looking for a good breeder.
    I'm thinking of a Brahma, a Easter egger, & a Holland, Wyandotte, or Dorking.
    Sounds like Pine shavings are better than straw for bedding. Will go to the local feed store for food. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Welcome to the site from Canada! [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm a bit too far away to help you with getting your birds, but there are quite a few people from California on here that can help you out.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi, glad you joined us! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Just do a search in the forum or just read the postings here, you'll find more info than you ever dreamed!

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Welcome to BYC. The Learning Center is a great place to begin with information. Have fun [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

I have learned SO much since joining BYC. Some of it I learned after I needed to know it [​IMG] and a great many BYCers have assisted me with a whole lot else. This is a wonderful community of helpful folks!

Don't be afraid to surf the various forums and ask specific questions.

6. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    I'm so glad you bought a big coop to start, because you know, very soon, you'll be thinking of adding more chickens because they are so addictive, and you'll have all the space for them. No need to buy 1 more shed.. or maybe you'll have to... [​IMG]

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    In my opinion, Nipple Waterers are an item that I couldn't live without for keeping chickens. Not sure if you have a feeder yet... I use a hanging galvanized one. If you're getting them as babies, I guess you know you'll need to set up a brooder- there are lots of good ideas on here for that as well. I think that covers most of the basics, but like everyone said, feel free to ask! You're going to fall in love... Just get ready!!!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have Ameraucans, but I think I have a few EEs out there too. Are you just looking for pullets or roos too?

I also have BCMs, Favs, Polish, Silkies, Penes, Bantam Wellies and Wheaten Marans oh and a few project birds. And as of late, quail.

There are a lot of us here in California, so you should be able to find all of those breeds. Trying to remember who it is that has Brahmas and Wyandottes. There are a couple of people and I just can't think you they are right now.

If you don't find what you're looking for soon maybe I can help you locate them. You can pm me if you run into a brickwall, but I doubt you will.

9. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Welcome! I am up here in Sonoma County, so PM if you need a suggestion about getting a flock. Gryeyes is in Sacramento, so maybe that is closer and I'm sure she'd help as well. Join us in Living the Chicken Dream...!! [​IMG]

10. graham cracker:

graham cracker: New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    HEY FROM LOUISIANA AND WELCOME TO BYC...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by