New to Geese and chickens!

Dawnypoos2001

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
hi from (not) so sunny England. can anyone please advise. I recently took ownership of 3 beautiful geese ...breed unknown at the moment. I was told they are all female and approximately 2 years old. They have been living and grazing together lovely until recently. I woke up one morning to quite a racket coming from their pen and found 2 of the geese attacking the third. having let them out to graze, this continued throughout the day with the 2 chasing off and attacking the third. The 2 now seem to be quite loved up. I have separated them at night and now find I have to keep them separated during the day also as they really are vicious with the other goose. I am assuming the 2 bullies are now male and female. Although they are fighting with this third goose they also seem to pine for her now they are separated so I am completely puzzled! any advice would be appreciated.

hi from (not) so sunny England. can anyone please advise. I recently took ownership of 3 beautiful geese ...breed unknown at the moment. I was told they are all female and approximately 2 years old. They have been living and grazing together lovely until recently. I woke up one morning to quite a racket coming from their pen and found 2 of the geese attacking the third. having let them out to graze, this continued throughout the day with the 2 chasing off and attacking the third. The 2 now seem to be quite loved up. I have separated them at night and now find I have to keep them separated during the day also as they really are vicious with the other goose. I am assuming the 2 bullies are now male and female. Although they are fighting with this third goose they also seem to pine for her now they are separated so I am completely puzzled! any advice would be appreciated.
Sounds like you have 2 ganders and one goose and they are bulling the one gander or you may have 2 geese and a gander and you know the old saying 2 company 3's a crowd. Have you seen any mating amongst the trio? mating season is in full swing here in the US if you can watch them during the day and see mating, giving them a kiddy pool will help with that. Then you can get the ousted one a mate either gander or goose. Also the gander will be bold with you trying to run you off and even trying to bite or attack[good way of knowing if you have a gander] unless you come upon a goose on a nest then she can be pretty ugly too. Don't know if I've helped ya but would like to Welcome you to BYC. !!

Hi. thanks for your reply. mating season is just starting here. although the 2 geese are very attentive with each other and stick together like glue, they haven't shown any other mating behaviour as yet. One of them is slightly more aggressive than the other when I am around. The odd one that I have separated is quite lovely though. No aggressiveness and will come to me to chat, but no touching. I suppose I will have to watch for nest building and egg laying. I was worried in case I had separated the wrong goose ha ha Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom