New to geese! Not sure about/how establishing a routine.

Awe, that's really cute. My original pair are the friendliest and will take stuff from my hand. They adore most fruits and watermelon and grapes are a favorite.

I lied! ☺️ We McGyvered a PFP (portable foraging pen) this weekend.

We made a frame, and attached the 3' high exercise pen panels to it. It is 6 x 10'.

If it doesn't pan out, I can easily remove the exercise pen panels, or replace them with welded wire (or chicken wire).

The wheels put it up higher than I like though. Are geese likely to sneak under? If so, we'll have to add skirting.

Now I just need to find a light weight, portable ramp for access.

If necessary, we can add a shade panel to one end.

It's still intended for supervised day use only. But I can easily move it around most of the yard so they can eat grass.

We also made them another step, to their "pool". It works - but there are still access issues. Need to do more thinking...
20210920_134915.jpg
20210920_134843.jpg

The wheels put it up higher than I like though. Are geese likely to sneak under? If so, we'll have to add skirting.
That looks nice! I don't think adults are likely o get under that. Their goslings definitely will if they breed in the spring.
We also made them another step, to their "pool". It works - but there are still access issues. Need to do more thinking...
I like that! I have a brick stair I made for them to get into their pool. Some of them can get into the taller trough, and others can't. Eventually I'll get all that set up the way I want.

Thanks! :D I'm hoping we can get them used to it this fall, hopefully we have another nice month or maybe even longer! Wasn't planning on babies, unless I knew someone wanted them, but if we use it for that, we'll put on the skirting.

This is mostly for my peace of mind. This way they can't wander off and while I don't think our dog would hurt them, deliberately, he is 'snappy' (cattle dog) and this will keep him from getting too close.

They've been trying to bond - through the chicken wire...but I'm not sure it's going all that well.

Otherwise...they absolutely love romaine - but not so much bok choi and definitely not zucchini.

Oh! And I was going to add...they are now eating their pellets/grain, from the pan I have set up in the coop. I have mixed the pellets to 20% protein, then add chicken scratch. I've been throwing a handful of wheat into the clean water in the mornings, and they're eating that.

So, I hope, that this will be a balanced diet and I won't have to worry about nutritional deficiencies.

Had time to test drive the PFP on Saturday.

Had to catch them to put them in (for now). Gander, no problem. Goose was little skittish.

They were fine in it, happy to eat the fresh grass. They were fine as I moved it too, walked along nicely inside.

But...design flaw...couldn't get them out. The opening I left was too small for me to crawl in and out of...carrying a goose. Then, when they saw the romaine I was putting in the coop...the gander managed to flap out of the PFP and flew across the yard.

He walked back to us with a little cajoling, and I got him to hop back into the coop (romaine is a powerful motivator), but then the goose (still in the PFP) was getting upset, so I crawled in...and just barely managed to crawl out holding her...but it was a gong show.

Long story short...she's fine and I'm not all that badly hurt!

Anyhoo...we moved a support rail on the PFP and now I have easy access. Hopefully they'll stay inside if we don't leave them in there too long.

It does work to keep the dog from them, but it still needs supervision.

Last edited:
...and they poop...a lot...
...and they shed feathers...a lot...lol. Not quite sure how to manage housekeeping...
☺️ 🙄 🤔

Back
Top Bottom