New to geese-small town suburban setting-update

jblee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Arizona
I am wanting to get some geese-specifically some Buff or like breeds that tend to be calm and not as raucous noise wise. I have a 4 and 5 going on 6 year old and live in a subdivision. I currently have 8 chicks and have had chickens before with no problems with the neighbors. Some noise is ok but a constant honking, at night especially, will not work. Alot of people around here have small backyard flocks even with roosters and turkeys and no one seems to mind. Even in close subdivisions. I guess small towns are more like minded in that aspect. I have been reading that a goose temperment depends on his up bringing. I only want 2 and is it best to go for a pair or 2 females?? These will be really for pets, not eggs or meat. Any suggestions on breeds, best place to buy just 2 and my setup concerning my living arrangments. My backyard has lots of grass and is actually a big yard for my area if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We got our geese from metzer farms which is online, and got 2 pilgrim and 2 sebastopol. They have a good chart for goose traits. We picked these breeds because they are called calm and they are supper sweet. When you raise them, they will follow you around. Our geese are near the barn an acre away from the house and we can hear the pilgrim geese sometimes with the windows closed, and that breed is described as very calm. (They are calm, but they still like to greet any one who approaches.) We don't hear them at night though, but I'm sure they are up with the sun. The sebastopol are probably quieter, but not silent. Both the females and males are kind, they probably only get protective when breeding. You do need to watch your fingers when feeding them treats.

I spoke with the folks at Metzer farms on the phone once and they were helpful, so you could ask them some questions, too.

Geese are super poopers and they even put chickens to shame in that department, But they do love to eat weeds which is a plus.

I still like the idea of having some geese but am definetly not rushing into getting any, I know doing that the hard way! I will keep doing research and waiting for replies and suggestions on here.

In my experience, one thing you don't want to get are the Swan geese types such as Chinese or Africans. They're very vocal and can be very loud. Most of the heavy breeds seem to have a lower tone of voice, but can still be loud when overly excited.

You might try efowl for a small order - I got my two American Buff from their service.
As to the geese - I am very happy with my Buff geese. They will carry on a bit of something or someone strange is nosing about but mostly they don't make any great deal of noise. They are very calm and gentle. My goose is now on eggs, and while the gander might come at me with his neck stretched out and hissing, he does no harm. I can even pick him up and carry him around with little more than a honking protest. The goose doesn't seem to mind having me around at all. And they are very pretty
smile.png

So would 2 females be any better than a male/female pair or not necessarily?? I almost decided to just not get them but I keep going back to thinking I want to get a few. Like I said, I have a guy that lives about 6 houses down and he has turkeys, roosters and I can here the rooster slightly when I leave for work but I dont think anyone cares that I know of.

I also posted in the Duck pages but forgot to add, I have a 6 foot block wall around my yard so they would never see out to see people or other animals. Could this help in there behavior and noise??

I didn't know Metzer would send out small orders - I'm glad to see they do. I hope this might be a growing trend for the breeds that can be sent safely in small numbers.

I have a question - anybody ever have a problem with a duck marauding the goose nest while the goose is taking a break to break her eggs?
I have had two of her 13 eggs busted and I suspect the Cayuga drake. I found my hens fighting over the tiny gosling carcus but I don't think any of then would have attacked the egg. They don't break and eat their own like some hens will. The drake is very aggressive with the goose - chases her all over when he gets a chance. I wondered if he might be busting up her eggs to get her off the nest? Another possibility is that the goose is somehow breaking them herself - or maybe some varmint is - but if that were the case I'd expect the varmint would eat what is inside and not leave it for the hens. I really am confused and would like to fix the problem if possible.

Back
Top Bottom