New to geese - wing question

PondEdge

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Greetings, long time lurker, first time posting. We have American Buff goslings, 20 days old, that are out enjoying the first day of summer in amongst the clover. I notice with some of them, the last wing segment is starting to drop a little occasionally so that it is visible. Is this the start of angel wing and should I tape them? Thanks in advance and good summer solstice!

edit: to correct age

Last edited:
Greetings, long time lurker, first time posting. We have American Buff goslings, 17 days old, that are out enjoying the first day of summer in amongst the clover. I notice with some of them, the last wing segment is starting to drop a little occasionally so that it is visible. Is this the start of angel wing and should I tape them? Thanks in advance and good summer solstice!
I doubt angel wing you usually don't see it begin until they start getting their wing feathers. I'd just keep an eye for now, I have an American Buff gosling 3 weeks old and right now the wings do look a little funky with feathers beginning to just show up. What are you feeding? I feed an all flock with protein at 20% so this past week i added some whole oats and wheat to their feed to cut the protein down a bit, plus getting them out on grass and weeds too.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia. So I should not tape the wings? If they continue to droop, at what stage do I need to tape? When they were in the brooder they were on non-medicated chick starter with greens added. The last few days they have been allowed to free-range so non-foraged food has gone down considerably.

Thanks Miss Lydia. So I should not tape the wings? If they continue to droop, at what stage do I need to tape? When they were in the brooder they were on non-medicated chick starter with greens added. The last few days they have been allowed to free-range so non-foraged food has gone down considerably.
Drooping usually starts when blood feathers begin to come in and they are getting heavy with blood, drooping is different than angel wing, angel wing is when the wing begin to stick out and looks like a hitchhicker thumb. Usually once they begin adjusting their wings when they droop they build muscle to hold them in the proper place. if you tape they won't build that muscle. Can you post some pics?

When the gosling start growing the feather's out on the wing and then the blood starts going into the feather's it makes them heavy feeling and they start pulling the wings up a lot and often due to starting to build the muscle in the wings. Now if the feather's are straight down and not flipping out like a hitch hiker like Miss Lydia said then they are fine. But if they do start to flip out then you can wrap them to help. Remember more grass and less high protein helps keep angel wing down.... It is always better to cut the protein down at age 3 weeks old.... Good luck.

Thanks Ruru and Miss Lydia for your replies and apologies for a delayed response. Our goosie babies are doing well - makes sense about them needing to develop their muscles; I guess I was overly worried, this being our first gaggle of goslings. They free-range most of the day so their primary diet is foraged greens and I have switched them over to flock raiser in the barn. Thanks again for your advice and words of assurance.

Thanks Ruru and Miss Lydia for your replies and apologies for a delayed response. Our goosie babies are doing well - makes sense about them needing to develop their muscles; I guess I was overly worried, this being our first gaggle of goslings. They free-range most of the day so their primary diet is foraged greens and I have switched them over to flock raiser in the barn. Thanks again for your advice and words of assurance.
Thanks for updating and happy to hear they are all normal. Pics when you can
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom