New to Geese....

KariR

Chirping
Nov 26, 2017
Central WA State
33C47DFC-51B0-4188-BC96-A4E07AAC190F.jpeg 97FB2FB6-6571-4FFE-87CA-141199B68C6A.jpeg

In a trade of sorts, we acquired 2 geese and a duck last weekend. We have other ducks so that was a no brainer. But have never had geese and have heard they can be mean! I was hesitant but their conditions were NOT good.... so I took them home.

I believe they are pilgram geese but am not sure of their gender. They are acclimating slowly and steadily. They hissed and bit when being removed from their small boarded up pen where they had been for many months without being let out. We put them in a larger outdoor coop (12X14) with wiring so they could see and get used to the other animals and activities around the farm. Now they are out walking around the yard with the rest of the flock and seem to be adjusting easily.
We are taking a crash coarse in Geese

Good for you for taking them and getting them to improved conditions! Overall, geese have it bad as far as reputations go. Don't get me wrong, they can be quite testy and territorial especially in breeding season when a goose is setting. But on the other hand, they are so intelligent, stately, and can be extremely lovable. Your two look like Toulouse from the pictures. Give them some time to get acclimated and try to go out with a head of iceberg lettuce. My Pomeranians come running when they hear the bag. It sounds like they will be much happier in their new environment. I sold the last geese I had and just recently got back into them again because I missed them so much. They are really awesome birds to own.

Very likely Toulouse and probably a male and female. If they have been together they probably are bonded with one another and will breed and lay eggs. If they do you can end up with quite a few geese in no time. Breeding season will be starting in your area soon and you will find out for sure then.

I started out with three (one male and two females) and within a few months had/have 11 (five males and 6 females). They are interesting creatures, a lot smarter than you might think. They will become defensive if they establish a nest but that is manageable and rewarding.

Make sure they have water to wash in. Mine have their daily routine of bathing and staying clean, though their area is messy just because they are not the neatest of birds, except for cleaning themselves. A nice deep bucket of water for cleaning their nostrils and drinking and a small pool (I use one of those little kiddie pools) for them to bathe and mate in.

If they have adequate space to graze you will have a much lower feed bill. However a good quality all flock feed or water fowl feed is nice to have around. That and some chopped corn and oats make a great diet for them.

Plenty of treats like Romaine lettuce and, in season, melon.

You may find that they do not get along with other birds while mating so be prepared with a pen and nest area for them if that happens.

Thanks for the excellent advise! So far they stick close together (I expect that) and make regular trips to the duck "pond" (a 5ft round stock tank) and also particularly enjoy a constant puddle we have in the drive. They were not thrilled with the dogs are first but seem to have warmed up nicely to them after a few days. Our dogs don't chase, they sniff them like they are another dog. But to a bird who has been locked in a pen for who knows how long, it was a bit upsetting at first. I can definitely see that they are pretty intelligent with how they have adapted. They have become "trapped" in the pasture a few times and allowed me to guide them out and back around and they learned the route easily.

Will keep checking back in with other questions as they arise. I did research Tolouse and yeah that appears to be what they are.

I will get some extra lettuce for them too and try and gain a little more trust :)

Good on you for taking in these geese. They will be a lovely addition to your flock. The best way to gain trust is to offer them a fresh bowl of water. Even if they have water everywhere, getting a fresh bowl of water is the greatest thing ever.

Good on you for taking in these geese. They will be a lovely addition to your flock. The best way to gain trust is to offer them a fresh bowl of water. Even if they have water everywhere, getting a fresh bowl of water is the greatest thing ever.
I never even thought of that being a way to gain trust! I bring them a fresh bowl each night when I tuck everyone in. But that is because theh are VERY messy. lol Like ducks on steroids!

Thanks for the excellent advise! So far they stick close together (I expect that) and make regular trips to the duck "pond" (a 5ft round stock tank) and also particularly enjoy a constant puddle we have in the drive. They were not thrilled with the dogs are first but seem to have warmed up nicely to them after a few days. Our dogs don't chase, they sniff them like they are another dog. But to a bird who has been locked in a pen for who knows how long, it was a bit upsetting at first. I can definitely see that they are pretty intelligent with how they have adapted. They have become "trapped" in the pasture a few times and allowed me to guide them out and back around and they learned the route easily.

Will keep checking back in with other questions as they arise. I did research Tolouse and yeah that appears to be what they are.

I will get some extra lettuce for them too and try and gain a little more trust :)
Kale or collard greens would be best, better proteins and won't upset their digestive tracts.My vet also says stay away from the breads, these birds tend to love water and the bread clumps in their bellies and causes them to choke. they also love beet greens and any dark green leafy veggies. much better nutritional values for them. I have Africans and frizzy, they all have such great personalities'. can't wait for them to breed, right now they follow me like puppies, hope that don't change much during breeding season..

I am going to be getting a pair of Toulouse goslings in the spring, I have never had geese before. But the research on I have done, says that the breed Toulouse is a very friendly breed. I am getting them because they are suppose to be good for flock protection for my chickens. I have been watching a show on you tube 50 ducks in a hot tub and he has ducks and geese. He had to separate his ducks and geese because the male geese were getting to aggressive with his ducks. But he will reunite his flock in the spring when they can get out to free range. It is a good show he knows a lot and he gives back to his community. I highly recommend it.
www.youtube.com/user/moviematcanada/featured
Matt says you can tell a female from a male because of their pajamas, Females have a fluffy belly and the males is suppose to be tight. Don't know how true that is.

Back
Top Bottom