new to goats HELP!!!

When I first got my two goats a "goat person" recommended goat serum as good for what ails 'em, particularly when they're young. It came from an online goat supply house and was reasonably priced if I recall. I'll see if I can find the website ... I think this place also advertised that they'd happily provide telephone advice as well.

ETA - Well that was easy, Hoegger Goat Supply .... http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/home.php

Last edited:
What breed are they? I have two blue-eyed Nigerians who have persistently goopy eyes. It gets way worse after they stick their heads in the alfalfa. I worried at first, but with no other symptoms, I'm going with allergies. Terramycin, NFZ puffers, none of the common treatments had any effect. The only things that seem to help are cod liver oil (just a tsp. in their feed) and a light wash with vinegar and water. The cod liver oil has a ton of vitamin A which helps with ocular health. The vinegar just keeps it clean and somewhat disinfected. If you really think they have an eye infection, Terramycin gel directly on the eye area is the best thing. It is, however pricey. NFZ puffers are a lot cheaper and really easy to use, but don't seem to be effective on all goats. Both of those items are available at most feed stores.

I agree with REDKAN. And the people who work there are a great help!! Also, keeping goats and chickens together is very common. We've had ours together for nearly 6 years. Never a problem! Good luck...
Blessings,
Amy J.

Frog, having them in with your chickens might be contributing to the runny noses and eyes. Baby goats are very suseptible (sp?) to allergies and irritants, much like small children. You can give childrens Benadryl, in the same dosage that you would give a small child,(follow dosing instructions on the label) and make sure that provide clean bedding and fresh water for them.
You need to make sure you listen to thier lungs and watch how they are breathing, if you notice that they are really working to breathe, or if they start sounding raspy or gurgly, you need to call the vet ASAP! Also, if they lay down and wont get up, stop eating or drinking or start feeling really warm to the touch, you need to call the vet, ASAP! Young goats decompensate quickly, and if they get pnuemonia, you can lose them in the span of a few hours, so keep an eye on them , keep them clean and dry and provide fresh water and bedding. Look up Tennesse Meat Goats on the web, they have lots of good information. Sorry the info is kinda scattered and the spelling is bad, had to take migraine meds and im a little goofy, but pm me if you think I can help, I have a guy I can call and he has been raising goats for over 25 years.

If it isn't an eye irritant like dust then it could be pink eye. There are several things you can buy for treating pink eye at the feed store or tractor supply. I think they have already been mentioned here. The yellow puffers seem to work.
Left untreated it will run it's course on it's own. But if you have other goats it can spread to them. So, it's best to treat them and keep them seperate from other goats.
Calves can get it too. It's sometimes spread by flies. Or coming in contact with an infected animal.
You can hold a warm washcloth on the goats eye to loosen up the goop. But, use good hygiene so you don't spread it around. And wash your hands really well after handling them.
Being in with the chickens can irritate their eyes too.

For me the puffer was a waste of time and energy. I just put a drop of BioMycin in each eye. I have had this happen and sometimes its just allergies and yep Benedryl helps alot. I would move them out of the chicken area as the chicken layer feed isnt good for them at all and they love to eat it.
Hay has a tendency to be dusty and it irritates the eye alot if the hay is kept really high up. I place my hay when they dont have to stick their head in it with the head up .That causes dust to fall in the eyes. Place it about shoulder high and shake the hay to see if its dusty or maybe a little moldy. Babies are easy to get sick and it may just be from stress of moving to a new home. Check their temps...normal runs around 102 and 103 and higher isnt good unless its a really hot day and wait till they have good shade to take it like in the evening. Also with mine with the hot days and coller nights I have seen this with some of mine and usually after the weather gets to be the same its gone. Also watch for stuffy or snotty noses. Good luck with your babies

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom