New to Guineas but so in LOVE!!

GraffitiGrace

Hatching
May 8, 2016
Montana
I am brand new to raising Guineas, have made a few slip ups, but I so love them. Does anyone else here just adore their Guineas? What colors do you have? What do you raise them for?
I raise mine for meat, eggs and sales. Or I will be come spring when they start laying.
What is a story you have about your silly guineas that you just have to share?

I have 6 guineas and I raise them for tick control and eggs. They are amazing creatures but I don't like them a much as chickens because guineas are quite aggressive towards my other chickens, despite growing up together. They are quite interesting and ill just watch them do their own thing for 15 or more minutes at a time. Our guineas have not started laying, they will come spring. The colors I have are Buff Dundotte (very light brown/off white with white spots), Lavender, and different variation of brown. I really would love some plain whites, or pied guineas. The craziest thing I have had happen with the guineas is when they try to roost on top of the coop and the other guineas in the coop notice they are missing, so they all go berserk.

I have 23 guineas, 5 white and 18 pearl grey. Guineas are my favorite breed of poultry, they are so interesting. I raise mine for meat and eegs and selling the keets. I just love them.

I have two pearl guineas that are 6 and a half months old. My husband come bringing them home from Rural King when they were babies. I have no idea why he bought them we have chickens and ducks already. I am really shocked how much personality they have and I just love them. They were brooded in the house and they still try to come in every day to visit. They also have their favorite chair that they like to perch on the back of.

Here is picture of my white and some of my pearl guineas. These are 20 weeks old.

I don't have room for anymore guineas but if I did I would love to have some white ones. You did a great job with hatching them from shipped eggs.

I have 6 adult guineas and 12 keets of different ages. I have someone coming to pick up some keets this week so I will be down to about 10-12, which is about the number that I like to go into winter with. (I have pearl gray, lavendar, peid, and buff dundottes.) I have had 3 hens successfully lay and hatch on their own this year for a total of 45 keets....so I have downsized considerably! One of my guinea hens is crippled and hasn't layed any eggs this year, but that hasn't kept her from keet-napping the other hen's babies and raising them as her own! (I joke that they either feel sorry for her or they welcome the relief of not having to drag around 15-20 keets anymore!)

Back
Top Bottom