Raising Guinea

Ben10k

Hatching
Mar 20, 2024
South East Texas
Hello everyone, I am new here! My family has a place in the country where we raise cattle, and we go there pretty much every weekend. I really want to have guineas there, i think they would be really fun to have and they would help control the bugs and snakes, etc. I also have a garden there which I read they love to pick bugs out of gardens and such. My main concern is if I put guineas there if they would stay there since we are only there on the weekends. We have an old barn there that has a room that once had chickens in there. I thought about making that room into a coop, so they would have a place to go at night and escape from predators. I would leave out enough feed and water for them to make it through the week. There is also a lady in the area that is selling adult guineas. Do yall think adult guineas would work, and would they stay? Would younger guineas be better? Please feel free to give me any advice, Thank you

Hello everyone, I am new here! My family has a place in the country where we raise cattle, and we go there pretty much every weekend. I really want to have guineas there, i think they would be really fun to have and they would help control the bugs and snakes, etc. I also have a garden there which I read they love to pick bugs out of gardens and such. My main concern is if I put guineas there if they would stay there since we are only there on the weekends. We have an old barn there that has a room that once had chickens in there. I thought about making that room into a coop, so they would have a place to go at night and escape from predators. I would leave out enough feed and water for them to make it through the week. There is also a lady in the area that is selling adult guineas. Do yall think adult guineas would work, and would they stay? Would younger guineas be better? Please feel free to give me any advice, Thank you
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA.

What you propose, leaving new to you guinea fowl unattended for a week at a time will not work.

If you start with adult guineas, they need penned in for 6 weeks so they can learn that your place is now home.

If you don't provide a secure coop for them at night, you will lose them to predators.

Guinea fowl are flock birds and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10.

Back
Top Bottom