New to Guineas

itkn

Songster
Apr 6, 2022
NW Arkansas
Thought I'd introduce myself over here since I'll be getting my first keets this Summer from Guinea Farm hatchery.

My primary reason for the guineas will be tick/pest control and alarm system on our very rural, semi-wooded 40 acres (no nearby neighbors to annoy). I'm also interested in how their behavior differs from chickens, for better or worse. :)

I already have a flock of Icelandic chickens that free range most of the time. I have stranded electric fence set up as a predator deterrent around their coop but the chickens jump through or fly over.

I have read a lot of mixed testimonial on integrating chickens and guineas. I think I'll try to keep them as separate flocks, but since neither will be contained to runs in the day, they will likely cross paths. I wonder if there's a benefit to brooding keets along with chicks even if I intend to keep them in separate nighttime housing as adults? I don't want them to view the chickens as guineas, but not intruders/enemies either.

I ordered 26; a mix of coral, lavender, pied, slate, violet and brown. Hopefully all will be available and arrive safely.

Thought I'd introduce myself over here since I'll be getting my first keets this Summer from Guinea Farm hatchery.

My primary reason for the guineas will be tick/pest control and alarm system on our very rural, semi-wooded 40 acres (no nearby neighbors to annoy). I'm also interested in how their behavior differs from chickens, for better or worse. :)

I already have a flock of Icelandic chickens that free range most of the time. I have stranded electric fence set up as a predator deterrent around their coop but the chickens jump through or fly over.

I have read a lot of mixed testimonial on integrating chickens and guineas. I think I'll try to keep them as separate flocks, but since neither will be contained to runs in the day, they will likely cross paths. I wonder if there's a benefit to brooding keets along with chicks even if I intend to keep them in separate nighttime housing as adults? I don't want them to view the chickens as guineas, but not intruders/enemies either.

I ordered 26; a mix of coral, lavender, pied, slate, violet and brown. Hopefully all will be available and arrive safely.
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

The disadvantage to brooding keets with chicks is that the keets get imprinted by the chickens and lose the ability to understand that chickens aren't guineas.

Guineas have entirely different behaviors than any other poultry. When they can't tell that other poultry aren't guineas, they treat them the same as they would treat other guineas. When breeding season happens, the racing and chasing along with the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and feather breaking can really stress other poultry.

I brood, raise and house my guineas separately from the other poultry. When they are free ranged with my chickens, both leave each other alone.

Back
Top Bottom