New to Hatching and Need good website

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
I think I'm going to try my hand at hatching from an incubator. It's way too confusing to try to piece together all the information in these threads so I'm looking for a good informative website about hatching chickens. I'm tryin by searching google but I haven't found one yet that really tells me in an easy to understand format.

Any suggestions?

I didn't even realize that was on here! That's a pretty good summary. Now to find the best incubator without spending a fortune....

Well the one thing I know I didn't really look at was Chicken Math. I made my first incubator and now working on my second one as I want to hatch more. Get what you can afford and with the features you want.

I've seen a small incubator at tractor supply for like $44 and then there's a seperate egg turner for the same price. I think it would hold plenty of eggs for me to start off but I'm not real certain if it's worth the money to go for the automatic turner. It wouldn't be hard for me to turn eggs in the morning when I get up, at 3 when I get off work and then before going to bed. But what if I'm not home...

What are some things you like about certain features that some incubators have?

The Little Giant or Hovabator Styrofoam type are great for a beginning model. I've had my Little Giant for 17 years and it is still going strong. I did invest in the auto egg turner about 5 years ago and it does make life easier. If you have time to hand-turn them 3-4 times a day, start that way and save up for the turner. Another option besides laying them flat is to put them in an egg carton with the top cut off. You can make a wedge to prop under the bottom of the carton to make your hand turning faster. Just move the wedge from one side of the carton to the other to make the eggs tilt.

We had a store bought still air incubator, worked okay with hand turning, but after we added a old computer fan to it, hatches were much better. Later we added a turner, nice not to have to do anything, but I kinda enjoyed it better having something to do but stare. Now I am trying a homemade coller incubator, very easy and Cheap, the temp was really easy to regulate as well, got all the info from here at BYC

I'm not sure what the TSC incubator was but I'll look up those models you mentioned. If it's lasted you that long then I'd say it's probably worth an investment.

Back
Top Bottom