New to hatching chicks, need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Toby96, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Toby96

Toby96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    I a few weeks i'm going to try hatching half a dozen eggs or so,

this is my plan so far, please say if i'm missing anything out or any other input you have.

Separate 2 or 3 females and the male from the others, keep them in a separate pen for a while and collect these eggs for hatching, is this a good idea? I have 6 females and 1 male.
    Also do i have to collect the eggs pretty much as soon as they are laid to ensure the best chances of them hatching?

Put them into a simple bator, very much like this https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=9370
    Whats
    the best temp to try and maintain?

Rotate them as it says on the link, ---- You turn your eggs twice a day (by hand) and once a day you rotate them i.e. you move bottom egg to top and move the rest down one spot.

Fingers crossed and hatch the chicks, i've had day old chicks before so should be ok after they hatch!

Thank you!

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    why separate the birds. collect a two or three days worth and start hatching. 99.5 with fan, 101.5 without fan. humidity 65 percent. turn eggs twice aday. i have 16 hens with two roos and have had two 100 percent hatches. 6 hens one roo shouldnt be a problem with them being fertile. goood luck hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by