New to hatching ducks.......

henloverinmaine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Downeast coastal Maine
Please forgive my ignorance here.....
big_smile.png
But I feel like I may go crazy. I was given 3 peking duck eggs to hatch back 4 weeks ago. We put them in the incubator with the 7 chicken eggs from my flock. Chicks hatched out last weekend and all are doing fine
clap.gif
This weekend the ducklings are due. Now all 3 eggs have pipped, but my question is how long does it take for them to hatch? One egg pipped yesterday afternoon so it's been well over 12 hours. The other two pipped during the night sometime. All are still wiggling on occasion, temp is steady, placed a wet sponge in there to up the humidity. Anything else I should be doing? This is my first time hatching ducks. Do they ever need help getting out? Am I being impatient?
Thanks for any advice
bow.gif

Sounds like you are doing the things you need to do (though I've not hatched ducklings myself in an incubator). My advice would just be to make sure that you give them plenty of time before deciding to 'help'. I've had mine zip 24-48 hours after the first pips when hatching under my broody ducks. The sticky in 'Inubating and Hatching Eggs' section is quite helpful - there is a good thread on 'how to help' if you decide to go that route at some point.

Sticky: Incubating & Hatching Eggs Important Topic Index - Please Review by silkiechicken

Good luck and share pics if all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom