New to hatching.. Eggs will arrive ahead of Bator... What to do?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
I have lived with 1 hen (rosecomb bantam) in my life & I got her as a senior chickizen. I'm about to get my first eggs. Problem:
I ordered a Hova-bator (1588) ten days ago, then ordered some silkie eggs today. My eggs will arrive in 2 days... but still no sign of the Hova-bator (tracking number tracks it to being in transit) . I've made a styrofoam cooler into a bator & have it rigged on a vented shelf with egg tray & egg tray & water pan, above radiant heat room heater. In a closet, with a thermometer/hygrometer.

Will this method due for setting the eggs until the Hova-bator arrives? Should I leave the eggs at room temp (72F) with 50% humidity until I get the Hova-bator & set it up with a 95.5 temp & correct humidity? ... They might be a couple days

To set or not to set?

Yikes!

If you know that your bator will be delivered in a day or 2
I see no problem having the eggs set at room temp. after all the hen leaves her nest once in a while. but if you dont know when the the bator will come in, Do whats necessary to keep
them healthy.

leave the eggs at room temp and tilt them back and forth several times a day so the air cells don't stick to a certain side.

just keep them in a carton, pointed side down. then tilt the carton back and forth in odd intervals daily. (3, 5, or 7)

you should be fine as long as your eggs don't get TOO old.
smile.png

the HB will be a plug and play unit that will be ready to go in a few hours unless for some reason you get a funky unit. (and of course we say no way, you shall not!!!
bun.gif
)

best blessings for an awesome hatch! one of my table top units is an HB and i like the results.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a small closet to 100F & 50% humidity, and I'll set/turn them in there, in case the HB never arrives. If it does, I'll set it up in the closet & transfer them when it's ready.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom