New to hatching have a question please

Shannon33

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Eastern Shore, VA
Hello,
This is my first time hatching eggs. My husband bought me an incubator last week. I put 10 eggs in. I candled the eggs tonight (the seventh day) as the manual suggested. Six of the eggs looked like they were supposed to according to what I have read online, a small mass and red veiny trails. However two of the eggs looked clear, and two were really dark all over except an air pocket at the large end of the egg.
My questions are, are the two clear eggs no good and should be discarded, or should I give them a few more days?
And, what is with the dark eggs? Since I picked eggs out of my pen that could have been sitting there for several days, is it possible a few started to develop outside and thus are further along in their cycle? No hen was sitting on them but it has been hot.
Thank you for any advice.

Quote:
I'm thinking the eggs that look clear aren't fertile..but you can wait a couple of more days if you like to see, just in case, but I wouldn't keep them in much longer.
I've had dark ones early on also..how dark is the egg shell itself? It's harder to see anything through the darker egg shells than the lighter ones, so I would wait to see on the dark one.
Good luck. Sounds like you have some good stuff going on in there.
smile.png

If you can easily see the veins on the others and not in the clear ones, it sounds like those aren't good and can be pitched. The darker ones are probably the yolk showing through. Those probably aren't good either but I sometimes leave those in for 2-3 more days to be sure and candle again. Don't want to pitch a possible chick.

the clear ones sound to be no good. You can throw them out. The dark ones...I am not sure. I am sure if its hot enough then, yes, they could start to incubate. But they would have to be..like..in a small erea or somthing. So the heat is actually heating the eggs.
hmm.png

I usualy candle mine at about 12-15 days thats about halfway or more total hatch time.You will definately see then if they are fertile or not.I found that the small LED mini flashlights are great and they seem to work fair even on dark color egg's.They are fairly cheap and works great.I can just take mine and quickly put on top of my eggs right in the turner and never have to waste much humididty taking each egg out.Hope you get lot's of chicks DG

Thank you for all the responses. I took out the clear eggs, cracked them open and they were duds, probably had never been fertilized. I will leave the two dark ones in for a while more, since there is no bad smell or anything.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom