New to hatching

In addition to the above I have started a journal. This way I won't be wondering what I did "last time" I will have my notes to go back and compare and make adjustments accordingly.
big_smile.png

I did weights on my eggs and I will candle at days 7, (again on day 10 for any questionable ones) and day 18. I guess it is kind of like having kids, we worry about EVERYTHING with the first one and then after that we just know and don't stress so much lol.

Right now in Fl keeping indoor humidity stable isn't that easy, not hot enough for the AC to kick on and not cool enough for the heat so not moisture isn't being taken out of the house but so far so good. Outside of that initial 42/43 in the first 24 hours I have been staying in the low 30s.

I am so excited!!

Im glad I did not read this before I hatched, I would have worried even more. I placed 15 mixed large breed eggs into my incubator 21 days ago and on day 19 had my first 2 hatch. then day 20 , ten more hatched and last night the last one hatched. 2 eggs were not fertile. I kept a close eye on the temps and put in water daily. They were inside so i worried about the air-conditioner taking the humidity down too low. I did not have a hygrometer, but maybe for my next hatch. I did follow the instructions and add more water on day 19. All chicks doing well, I removed all but the last one to the brooder. They are happy little peepers. I knew the humidity was important, so since I did not check it I am grateful for such a good hatch.

Hatching is addictive. I have 8 more days till my Guinnea's hatch. I started with 12 eggs from a friend. Candled then and all but 2 were fertile so am hoping for a good hatch. My chicks from previous hatch are doing well. They are in the coop with the older ones. I just started letting them out into the covered part of the pen.. Not letting them out till the get bigger. Had a Chicken hawk steal one of my older birds last week.

Congrats. By my third hatch I was so much more relaxed.

Hatching is addictive for sure. Hope to hatch out again next spring/summer.

Back
Top Bottom