New to having chickens

Hens that sit a lot may be ready to lay eggs. The sitting is called the "egg squat". Roos just do what they want, whenever they want. :) In fact, my roo pretty much hates having me near him and will run like the wind to escape. Other people's roos might stay still, but mine is like a roadrunner. Maybe we got a roadrunner instead of an EE roo!

~AbsterliniChicken4

Hens that sit a lot may be ready to lay eggs. The sitting is called the "egg squat". Roos just do what they want, whenever they want. :) In fact, my roo pretty much hates having me near him and will run like the wind to escape. Other people's roos might stay still, but mine is like a roadrunner. Maybe we got a roadrunner instead of an EE roo!

~AbsterliniChicken4
Thank you. We hope to get the nesting boxes up very soon. What is your favorite type of material for nesting boxes. I have plenty of hay (20 horses), but was not sure if I needed pine chips or other flakey material.

We made our nesting boxes out of plywood, but you can use crates or maybe recycle some pallets. Pine shavings are great for coating the floor, mostly because it is really easy to clean away. Hay can also be a treat in the winter so that your chickens can be entertained.

One of my girls was having a photo shoot this afternoon :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_131829.jpg
    IMG_20170920_131829.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 2
I have tried for 2 days to upload pictures to help identify the sex of my chickens. For some reason NOTHING with upload. I will keep on working on it and also observing my coop. Is it correct that Hens will sit a lot and Roos sit very seldom? Thank you for all of your help. I was thinking about keeping all the Roos for protection of the flock. Is that a good or bad idea??
Uploading a photo is a two step process, first choose upload a file button at the bottom of the box, then select the photo and click Open. Once its uploaded choose thumbnail or full size image and click it. The image will appear in your draft response, wait for it to upload before you post.

Roo's I think are good, but keep the ratio down. Typically 1 roo to 10 hens.

Uploading a photo is a two step process, first choose upload a file button at the bottom of the box, then select the photo and click Open. Once its uploaded choose thumbnail or full size image and click it. The image will appear in your draft response, wait for it to upload before you post.

Roo's I think are good, but keep the ratio down. Typically 1 roo to 10 hens.
Thank you. I have been doing that and it just will not upload. Stays zero percent then give error message. Have tried about 20 times. I even tried using picture post at top of this page. It ask for URL # but should not because pics are on the computer.
Out of the 18 birds I think there are at least 3 Roos. I am still trying to learn Saddle feathers, comb colors, and neck feathers. Two out of the 6 white birds have more red combs and seem to have pointed saddle feathers.
I will keep trying to upload pictures and will get my daughter to help me later. I left my computer skills back in the 1980's!!!!

Back
Top Bottom