New to homesteading, taking the plunge!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shawn.dearie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. shawn.dearie

shawn.dearie In the Brooder

Oct 22, 2018
    Southeast Louisiana
    Hello folks, my name is Shawn and I live in southeast Louisiana. My wife and I completed construction on our home on 5 acres earlier this year, and are making plans for 2019. We have a 1/2 acre pond that we stocked with bream and bass earlier this year, and also have a few bee hives that has produced a fair amount of honey for us this year. We are very interested in chickens and ducks, which is what led me here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    We are totally new to chickens. I do have a few friends that have/had small backyard flocks in small backyard coops, but we don't really have any good experience with chickens directly.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We are chicken-less right now! I am hoping to get 20-30 for next year, which I know might be crazy. I figure if I am going to go for it, I ought to go big!

(3) What breeds do you have? We don't have any chickens yet, but I am hoping to get a combination of different egg laying chickens. I do have an interest in meat birds as well. I read the book on "stress free chicken tractors" by John Suscovich, and hope to be bold enough to try my hand at that this year.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I was googling things about chickens and ducks, and came across this seemingly great site!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Right now, I have 3 bee hives that I am using to collect and sell honey, and make yummy honey wine (mead) that we give out to friends as gifts. We also enjoy a fair amount! :) I also enjoy fishing and hunting, with deer hunting season starting up this weekend!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We currently have two puppies (Brittany & Cairn Terrier), two children, and a few thousand fish in our pond! We are new to the concept of homesteading and utilizing our space to increase our sustainability by incorporating small livestock and gardening into our lives. It is daunting when you don't really have any experience in any of these areas, but I figure the only way to learn is to roll up our sleeves and get to work!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I really just found out about this site, but feel that this will be a great resource to help us be successful in this venture.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops
    There are a couple of links in my signature that are worth the short read.
    BYC has an APP

rjohns39, 007Sean, Pork Pie and 7 others like this.
  3. N F C

N F C snowing & blowing

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    BYC Welcome 7.jpg

Hi Shawn, nice to have you here! You'll find a lot of other members here that share the same interest you have so make yourself at home!

rjohns39, 007Sean, Pork Pie and 6 others like this.
  4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Shawn!
    :welcome

rjohns39, 007Sean, Pork Pie and 7 others like this.
  5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Howdy Shawn! :frow Welcome to our FUNomenal community!

rjohns39, 007Sean, Pork Pie and 6 others like this.
  6. alexa009

alexa009 Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Shawn! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

rjohns39, 007Sean, Pork Pie and 5 others like this.
  7. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    fullsizeoutput_75c.jpeg
    Hope you like BYC. Good Luck on your endeavors. Devil hates a coward!
    :mad: :welcome

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Shawn, and welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home. Define your goals, question, plan and you will be successful in establishing your flock. Good luck in your endeavors.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Shawn, hope you will enjoy Backyard Chickens as much as we do. :yesss:

rjohns39, 007Sean, Melky and 3 others like this.
  10. to BarbsGirls

to BarbsGirls Crowing

May 16, 2018
    Indiana
    Welcome aboard! Build bigger and smarter!!! What you think you will start with will not be what you wind up with. We have this disease here....it’s called chicken math.. we all get it!!! :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: