New to homesteading, taking the plunge!!!

shawn.dearie

Chirping
Oct 22, 2018
Southeast Louisiana
Hello folks, my name is Shawn and I live in southeast Louisiana. My wife and I completed construction on our home on 5 acres earlier this year, and are making plans for 2019. We have a 1/2 acre pond that we stocked with bream and bass earlier this year, and also have a few bee hives that has produced a fair amount of honey for us this year. We are very interested in chickens and ducks, which is what led me here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are totally new to chickens. I do have a few friends that have/had small backyard flocks in small backyard coops, but we don't really have any good experience with chickens directly.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We are chicken-less right now! I am hoping to get 20-30 for next year, which I know might be crazy. I figure if I am going to go for it, I ought to go big!

(3) What breeds do you have? We don't have any chickens yet, but I am hoping to get a combination of different egg laying chickens. I do have an interest in meat birds as well. I read the book on "stress free chicken tractors" by John Suscovich, and hope to be bold enough to try my hand at that this year.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I was googling things about chickens and ducks, and came across this seemingly great site!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Right now, I have 3 bee hives that I am using to collect and sell honey, and make yummy honey wine (mead) that we give out to friends as gifts. We also enjoy a fair amount! :) I also enjoy fishing and hunting, with deer hunting season starting up this weekend!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We currently have two puppies (Brittany & Cairn Terrier), two children, and a few thousand fish in our pond! We are new to the concept of homesteading and utilizing our space to increase our sustainability by incorporating small livestock and gardening into our lives. It is daunting when you don't really have any experience in any of these areas, but I figure the only way to learn is to roll up our sleeves and get to work!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I really just found out about this site, but feel that this will be a great resource to help us be successful in this venture.

BYC Welcome 7.jpg

Hi Shawn, nice to have you here! You'll find a lot of other members here that share the same interest you have so make yourself at home!

Back
Top Bottom