New to incubating eggs and already a nervous wreck lol

uptail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Southern WV
Hello to all!!

The chicken hobby has really gotten out of hand for me, lol. I started out with 6 chicks, then 12, then up to 16.
barnie.gif
Then I got the coop and had a run built for the birds.

NOW, I have decided to try my hand at raising the little buggers myself.

I first ordered the Brinsea octagon 20 Eco. I then ordered two different hygrometers so I could check one against the other. After reading all the things that could potentially go wrong, I started getting antsy about regulating the relative humidity myself. At this point, I ordered a *second* incubator.....this time the Brinsea octagon 20 advance EX. I am hoping between the two I will have some sort of luck with the eggs.

Now, to the good part. The eggs!

I have ordered 6 silver-laced wyandottes (from KY), 10 blue/black/ and splash ameraucanas (from SC), and 6 blue-laced wyandottes (from NY). I am going to wait until all of them come in to start them all at the same time in the incubator.

Any immediate tips or pointers you would suggest? I have an automatic turner and a digitial thermometer (plus the additional two I ordered lol). I read about turning the eggs while waiting to put them in the incubator. I also read that keeping the eggs at 50 degrees was best while waiting for the other eggs to come in. I am not quite sure where I will be storing them while I wait for the others.

Anyways I hope to get some pics up soon! The first set of eggs (sl wyandottes) should be here tomorrow!

I store mine in a basement closet, then bring them up at least eight hrs before putting them in the bator. Calibrate your hygrometers. I think it is 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 water mixed together. Should be like wet sand. You can search that. Take a ziplock bag and put your hygrometers and the cup of salt mixture in the bag and close it up and let it sit for 12-24 hrs. Your hygrometers should read 75%. I have one that is 5 off and another that is 10 off and one that is dead on. :thumbsup

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely get them both calibrated before I put them in use.

I am thinking around 35% humidity days 1-17, then up to 65% on day 18- hatch. Sound good for these breeds?

You have very good equipment for hatching. You should have great hatches, keep in mind you will have failures with shipped eggs. Hope you have a coop builder in your family because you will need it
lau.gif
hatching is addictive.

The humidity is going to have to be a trial and error for your location. I use 50% and then 65%. Others have had success at a lower humidity. It will all depend on the progession of the egg cells. Take good notes. :thumbsup

I am going to try to do my best, but no one in my family has any kind of experience doing this.....so I will be trial by fire I guess! Lol!

I agree, I am already thinking one coop is never going to be enough. Lol. Simple little inexpensive project of raising a few chickens has turned into a full-scale poultry production event!!
yippiechickie.gif

I have to admit I have had so much fun with my little chicks growing up into little chickens. Right now they are about 6 weeks old. Each one has so much personality. Who knew chickens could be this much fun??
love.gif

So I finally have all of the eggs and incubators safe in my possession. LOL.

The first set of eggs (9 silver-laced wyandottes) arrived Monday. I have stored them in a cool closet (approx 65 degrees) while waiting for the others to arrive. The second (12 ameraucanas) and third sets (7 blue-laced wyandottes) arrived yesterday. I am going to leave them be until late tonight around 9 or 10 pm to continue settling before putting them in the incubator.

The first incubater, the Eco model Brinsea was running a little warmer than the other. It was running about 100 degrees. After a small adjustment the temp is now running 99.5. I added just a smidge of water to the reservoir as the humidity was low at 16%. It is now about 35%. I have a hygrometer/thermometer that I am checking the thermometer against in this one.

The second incubater, the Advance EX model by Brinsea is running much smoother. It already is right on with temp and humidity after adding just a touch of water. I have not yet set up the humidification supplier that came with this model as I am experimenting with a nearly-so dry hatch.

Wish me luck as this is my very first time!

So I finally have all of the eggs and incubators safe in my possession. LOL.

The first set of eggs (9 silver-laced wyandottes) arrived Monday. I have stored them in a cool closet (approx 65 degrees) while waiting for the others to arrive. The second (12 ameraucanas) and third sets (7 blue-laced wyandottes) arrived yesterday. I am going to leave them be until late tonight around 9 or 10 pm to continue settling before putting them in the incubator.

The first incubater, the Eco model Brinsea was running a little warmer than the other. It was running about 100 degrees. After a small adjustment the temp is now running 99.5. I added just a smidge of water to the reservoir as the humidity was low at 16%. It is now about 35%. I have a hygrometer/thermometer that I am checking the thermometer against in this one.

The second incubater, the Advance EX model by Brinsea is running much smoother. It already is right on with temp and humidity after adding just a touch of water. I have not yet set up the humidification supplier that came with this model as I am experimenting with a nearly-so dry hatch.

Wish me luck as this is my very first time!

I do wish you LUCK! But its not really luck Its being prepared .Having the best equipment within your price range .Running it ,getting a feel for it ,checked out.Know how to add water and when..Have a couple reliable thermometers and hydrometers recently calibrated/checked for accuracy.Have a good place to set it out of way,draft free, no direct sun lite,and stable temp in range of manufactures suggestions..Where you can keep an eye on it (There Kid Magnets) and they can't keep hands off it.You have probably the best Incubators the rest is up to you and it looks like your getting your Ducks in a row .Don't overdo it.As I always said (It ain't Rocket Science /even a CHICKEN can do it)...cva34

I for-see another egg turner cradle in your future !!!!!!!!!! LOL

Dont forget to get a light to candle your eggs! Then you can tell if they are fertilized as soon as Day 3. Every few days you can look at the eggs and watch them developing. My DH bought me a small, very bright Coleman flashlight at Walmart and it works great.

Hondo58 gave me this link of how eggs are supposed to look threw each day. It really helped me alot!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Oh, and its going to be the longest 3 weeks of your life
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I do wish you LUCK! But its not really luck Its being prepared .Having the best equipment within your price range .Running it ,getting a feel for it ,checked out.Know how to add water and when..Have a couple reliable thermometers and hydrometers recently calibrated/checked for accuracy.Have a good place to set it out of way,draft free, no direct sun lite,and stable temp in range of manufactures suggestions..Where you can keep an eye on it (There Kid Magnets) and they can't keep hands off it.You have probably the best Incubators the rest is up to you and it looks like your getting your Ducks in a row .Don't overdo it.As I always said (It ain't Rocket Science /even a CHICKEN can do it)...cva34

I for-see another egg turner cradle in your future !!!!!!!!!! LOL

LOL!! This is so funny!

Chicken people must know chicken people. I was browsing online today for another turner for the second incubater.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom