New to incubating, will need help

Laura78

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Snohomish County, WA
My boyfriend is making me an incubator, he's going to start on it tonight and hopefully I'll be putting eggs in there tomorrow.

This is my FIRST TIME incubating anything and I want to learn all I can before I toss my eggs in there. I know I need to turn them. But when, how often, and how much I don't know. I know there needs to be humidity, but again how much I don't know. Temps too. This is the bator I'm making, with some changes that another member made and she says is hatching eggs. http://www.bigredcouch.com/journal/archives/2007/08/homemade-incubator.html

Laura, you don't want to rush putting your eggs in the incubator until you are sure that the temps and the humidity are going to stay stable. I would give it at least 3 days to make sure that everything is stable in the unit, then add your eggs. If you have your eggs already, you can keep them about a week on the counter at room temperature without too much problem. Just remember to turn them several times a day, just like you would in the incubator. Have fun with it.
Dick

Put them in an egg carton, and tip one end up about thirty degrees or so, 4-5 inches probably. Then three to five times aday, tip the opposite end.

If you have had them since Saturday, you will be alright keeping them a few days longer while you get your incubator running right. Give it at least a day, it would be better to go longer. You want to be sure you have it right.

Then after you put the eggs in the temps will go down for awhile, till the eggs warm up. Leave it alone, dont adjust it untill it has been about eight hours, then it should be back where you were before the eggs went in.

So it's just a back and forth turning? No, turn over or anything? Anyone got pictures to show me? I feel stupid right now. I'm a visual person, lol.

Quote:
Just use a regular pencil and carefully mark X on one side.. This way you'll know as you turn them. No INK of Felt tips etc.

I'm making an incubator myself, but I've bought an egg turner so I won't be having to do that tediious job for 21 days..
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom