New to incubation and hatching duck eggs and I have an urgent question!

punkyperez

Hatching
May 2, 2016
Hi!

I'm about 6 months new to the duck world and about 2 months new to seeing eggs around the coop. We've normally been taking the eggs right away so not to have any ducklings as we have one drake within our 3 ducks. Late last September (like the last few days) and all of October up until last week my Ancona duck was sitting on a nest of 11 eggs. 2 weeks ago they dwindled down to 5 as they were going bad over the month. I've been candling them and marking which ones are good/bad and about the time period they should hatch. Out of the 5, 2 pipped last Wednesday and made a dime like hole over the course of 24+ hours however come the 3rd morning they didn't make it overnight
hit.gif
. I'm not sure why but when I went out my Ancona duck who has been sitting on them faithfully was not on them the morning I found the duckling eggs not moving or chirping as they were.

Needless to say, after about 6 hours of crying that morning, I decided to buy an incubator for the remaining 3 from Tractor Supply, Farm Innovators 4250 model to be exact. Before I put them in it I ran a test of the machine and candled them to be sure they were still alive because I actually thought they weren't last week.

I've done lots of research in the last 6 months of raising ducks and now possible ducklings but seem to be confused on the incubation process. Currently the incubator is at 99 degrees with about 57-65% humidity.This last weekend both Saturday and Sunday one of the 3 were wiggling, not a lot but every now and then would. I did take them out yesterday to candle them all once more and 2 were moving a little, 1 not at all.

I know it's a long thread for such a simple question but wanted to give some background as to where I'm at with things. My question is, the air sac seems to be about 1/3rd of the space of the eggs now and right around the day it should hatch, with the wiggling of that one, how soon should I expect it to pip? I haven't seen it move much since the weekend so I don't know if this is a good sign or bad.
hu.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I only became a duck owner as my teen daughter thought it would be "cute" to get baby ducks without my permission so bear with my knowledge as I am now a proud owner of a Pekin, Ancona and believe a mallard (my drake). I've also told her no more thinking animals are cute enough to bring home going forward (although the ducks are very rewarding in a peaceful way...messy birds but peaceful!)

Not sure what it takes to get a response in this forum but it seems to be a ghost town out of the only two posts I've done since joining. I really like this place but hard to get any action. Anyway, if anyone cares....My duckling was finally born yesterday. First one ever, watched the entire thing (I did have to assist a little because it was coming through the wrong end and the outer membrane was turning tan but put it back for it to finish the process (2 hours later).

Welcome.....Goose.

Glad you got one it looks healthy! I am thinking about hatching some ducks in the spring and your question seemed like a good one. I was hoping someone would answer....

Thanks! I have one more in the incubator, should pip in the next day or so. It's wiggling for sure. The 3rd one I had in there actually exploded yesterday morning in it. It didn't get on anything other then the bottom of the incubator. I thought it was going bad before I put it in there because it was turning black but also thought I had seen movement. Apparently not, it didn't make it either obviously. Crossing fingers on the last one.
fl.gif

If you do this in the Spring, hope you have good luck!

Back
Top Bottom