New to incubation

horsejumping

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
This is my 1st batch of eggs for a class project at the school and for our families enjoyment. I incubated 5 bantam/Americana Xs (little eggs) along with 18 cochin/red/Americana Xs. Today is day 24. On day 21 all the little bantam eggs hatched, Day 23 2 of the big eggs hatched and no other movement/sound from the rest. Decided to poke a little hole to check 2 out. Attached are photos of those 2. There was no heartbeat or movement inside the egg. Forced air incubator kept steady temps and humidity along with egg turner until day 18. I sill have some eggs remaining but am thinking they are gone too. Any thoughts or suggestions? The yoke wasn't absorbed in these 2.

sad.png
Most likely these two shown are 'quiters'. Eggs die when they stay out of parameters for temperature or humidity too long, or suffer from bad handling. I think the smallest 'bators are a joke, as they encourage too much handling , and far too many openings/closings to turn manually etc. Just the nature of the beast. I killed 24 duck egs on my first hatch. Only two broke shells. One I helped out did not survie past day 2. It can be frustrationg. Also 'old' eggs that are shipped or held at room temperature for more than a week, do not do well, and hatch rates plummet.

I am a novice at hatching after 4 years of chickendom. We have one hen setting 16 eggs. We are hopefull.

I am currently running I Hovabator, without turner, and 2 Brinsea Octagon, w/ turners. I am building a 'sportsman' with 4 rack shelf rocker, and top hatcher shelf. It is a copy of the bator box that seems to be popular with serious hatchers of multiple dozens, as I have 30 count egg racks for mine. Bigger usually means more stable, so thats where I am going for now. The results of 10 doz hatches will be enough for me when the big one runs. Hard to get more, easy to do less.

Back
Top Bottom