New to it all

dan7299

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Hi all

This is my first post here , and also my first time with my own chickens .

I have a few questions I wonder if you could help me with...

I bought the birds from a local breeder and it looks like they where housed in a large barn . We have had then for a few days

1) my birds are sleeping in the nest box , and not purtching ... What can I do about this ?

2) when it is coming to dusk , rather than the chickens going inside the chicken house , they seem to look at getting into the tree above the house .... And they will hop onto the roof to try and get into the tree ... Will they just learn to go in, or is there anything I need to do ?

Many thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, It's a wealth of knowledge here.

1. You can try placing the birds on the purch after they have started to roost, ie in the nesting box, tree branch. Eventually they will figure out where to roost.

2. I kept my birds in the coop for about 2 complete days so they would get used to their home and to know where they should roost. Then I let them out to the run for a few days before free ranging.

I hope that helps, and I'm sure others will have some great ideas as well.

welcome-byc.gif

Are your perches higher than the nest boxes? If not move them higher. Also closing off the nest boxes until the birds start using the roosts will help, but they should be higher than the nests.

They still don't regard the coop as 'home'. Hopefully you have a top on your pen so that they can not make it into the trees. You may have to put them into the coop until they get the idea. Don't allow them to sleep on the roof top or in the trees as this makes them vulnerable to predators.

Enjoy your birds and continue to bring your questions here.

Thanks all ...

No the purches are about the same level as the nest box ... Sounds like I need to change this ?? And put them on once they once they go to bed

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom