new to it all

tinahoggard

Hatching
May 25, 2015
Hi everyone, so I'm new to threads and chickens. I'm from the city moved to langley couple months ago and super excited to be doing our own. We will be having chickens for eggs and food. Probably a couple for Pets too as I have little ones. Any advice will be fantastic.
I'll add a picture of the area and coop too. Can't wait to get started.
1f425.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

Thanks , not really yet on the breeds but read that since I want eggs and the meat that I get the combo birds but haven't looked into it more yet.
Yes I have been in the info center really loving it but nothing like talking with people.

Thanks , not really yet on the breeds but read that since I want eggs and the meat that I get the combo birds but haven't looked into it more yet.
Yes I have been in the info center really loving it but nothing like talking with people.
Well, i would look into Buff Orpingtons and black australorps. The buff orpingtons are very sweet, friendly, and great layers. They are also a fairly good sized meat bird. The Black australorps are also super friendly, large, sweet, excellent layers, and good meat birds. A few others i like are wyandootes (they are great layers, good temperments, and come in many cool colors), Barred rocks (good steady layers, and nice birds), and Brahmas (one of my fav breeds, super sweet, pretty good layers, cold hardy, beautiful).
I'd like a couple friendly ones for the kids too.
The friendliest, cuddliest, sweetest, most puppy like birds i have out of over 25 different breeds are by far the cochins. They are fluffy, flop in your arms, and i have never had a mean one. They are not great layers, but make wonderful moms and pets. I love these guys :)

40 years of raising chickens here.red or black sexlinks are great dual purpose birds..get the kids some silkies they are very docile

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

@cityfarmer12 has given you good breed advice. If you are wanting good egg layers that are also docile and make good pets, I would recommend black australorps, buff orpingtons, speckled sussex, barred rocks, wyandottes, easter eggers and sex links.

Good luck with this new adventure! We are glad you have decided to join the flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom