New to jumbo brown quail, my guess for m/f

adyhart1

Songster
9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
Waco, TX
Ok this is my first flock of quail. They are two days shy of 4 weeks. My beautiful babies are growing so fast!! I am trying to see if i am any good at sexing them... I know i will know shortly but i wanna see if i get it right! I'll just show what i think is a pair... If i am wrong please correct me!! lol

# 1 is a female i think...

female.jpg

# 2 is a female i think...

IMG00098-20110104-0759.jpg

#3 is the male ( saw this one crow while just checking on them lol)

male.jpg

lol yeah i'm pretty sure that #1 is a female bc of her speckeled chest and #3 is a male (since he crowed) #2 i feel could kinda swing both ways... i can't tell yet! lol they are currently molting and getting in new feathers... so i guess i will update in a few weeks
fl.gif

Well, #2 may be a hen, but 1 and 3 are questionable. To young to sex.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but they are all 3, very bad pictures. Taking pics of live birds is very difficult!

My official statement is...I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. How old are these birds?

Different bloodlines have different markings is what I think. My hens from one breeder have some rust, while the hens that I hatched from another breeder had no rust at all. Now I have some hens with rust, and some hens that don't.

Quote:
they're 4 weeks old Joe ....

I did read the OP's words that said 4 weeks old, but bird #2 looks a bit older than the other 2 to me. That's why I asked
wink.png

They all 3 look like androgynous (Just Pat/late bloomer) roos to me. This would be very odd for someone that just has 3 birds. It could happen, but would be very rare!

Back
Top Bottom