New to jumbo brown quail, my guess for m/f

Quote:
If any lay an egg then you will know for sure. Hens can blow their left ovary, take on the coloration of roos, and even crow, but roos can never lay an egg!

Exactly how many birds do you have?

Quote:
You are more right than wrong, but we are the victims of a trickster that just likes to torment us. Not sure why people do this, but it would take me hatching about 75 to 100 brown coturnix to come up with 3 androgynous roos.

Could someone please explain, what satisfaction, anyone can derive from this?

Quote:
You are more right than wrong, but we are the victims of a trickster that just likes to torment us. Not sure why people do this, but it would take me hatching about 75 to 100 brown coturnix to come up with 3 androgynous roos.

OBVIOUSLY AN TRICKSTER WOULD ENJOY THIS WITH SADISTIC GLEE...........
smile.png

Quote:

OBVIOUSLY AN TRICKSTER WOULD ENJOY THIS WITH SADISTIC GLEE...........
smile.png

Yes, and I have caught young males that I thought were hens laughing at me a few times and vice versa. Down right chuckling.
lol.png
Then stand there and look ever so innocent.
Tricksters indeed, I think they do it themselves, on purpose. The coloring and weird speckling I mean. I try to cull them out as I find them, but they seem to be the ones that start to lay and breed later in their lives. And those few, M/F they look alike until they get much older.

I think it comes from crossing different lines or adding new blood lines, even of the same coloring. It may be a stage in the combining of the genetics that they go through. These being the ones that reject the genetic combination. Or maybe they are the result of the combination of the blood lines. Or extend that many years forward and this happens. Because I know there has been no new blood added to my birds for many years and I got them in my first 2 batches, but none of my hatches, so far...ohhh,have to think on what I have done... But I don't have enough experience to see if any of those quesses are anywhere near right. That's one thing I want to play with to check my quesses out. After I send my eggs out.

Could be they are just changing. Wouldn't surprise me, everytime you turn around they mutate in some way. The more people that raise them the more they are going to change, too. Cause I think they are little tricksters and they just want to have fun. And they have had centurys to learn how to have fun with us.
lol.png

haha left for a few days and i come back to all these replies!!
big_smile.png
It is definetly hard to take pictures of the birds when they are all wiggling around and trying to fly around the laundry room lol I have 6 birds but the other three are texas a&m. lol i really hope that they are not all males... haha but if so its ok i will just get more birds! I have chickens and i was wanting to dip my beak into quail... For sure only one has been crowing. So i know that one is a male... the other too still have a little rust on there chest and speckling... so i am hoping that its just a breeder thing...
fl.gif
I will try to take some pictures in the morning and get them in here! They are molting pretty good and now that i look at one it looks more creamy. I do bring them in at night and keep a light on them. ( and i dont do it so much so they will lay its just been very cold here and i like my babies to stay nice and warm and comfy!
love.gif
) You know what i think its hilarious that just makes me laugh about the quail... when i put the new sand in there pen!!! So funny how they come running for the sand and run away when i bring in new water and food. they would bury themselves if i put a pan in there big enough for them too
big_smile.png

Well now I have doubts about my birds. I zip tied my 3 week olds and if there was rusty red on there breast they were tagged Roos. I thought I just had a Rozzie ratio of roos. But I called birds with a lot less rust on there breast Roos than those in the pix. Well hell, I guess me and the Hooligan will practice beer sex'in birds.... Bill

Ya, beer sexing and wine sexing (me) works good for these speckled boys. But I do notice differences and what we are trying to see in the pictures. I had better say, my males that are like this, because I just don't know about others. The speckles don't come down the breast so far and they are blurry. If that makes sense. The Males speckles are blurry compared to the females.

But I have been wrong with my own birds and ended up putting what I thought was a girl into Big Bad Berthas pen because they were friends. Oh ya, they were friends all right. He turned out to be her favorite mate. She has two- one of each type of coloring- her choice. Oh and I normaly don't worry to much about sexing them until they are 6 weeks old. At their first weigh in. Unless there are problems.

i really appreciate everyones responses! i was really just curious to see if i could do it! i bought them tags for when i know for sure i just wanted to see if what i was guessing was right! lol I took more pictures but still too blurry! i will make sure in two weeks that i post pictures and let everyone know how they did! lol I'm going to pic up a few more coturnix quail tomorrow afternoon...these ones are two weeks older! hope i dont have any problems with them.... I will keep everyone posted!!! ( oh and i must try this wine sexing i have been hearing about lol)

Quote:
Come on now, if you live in Texas ya gotta dig deeper back into fridge, anyways what I do is vent sex at 7 weeks with all of my quail. I feather sex and vent sex on jumbos and manchurians. I give them a big old zip tie to show off and put red on the meat birds, and green on my breeders. The brooders have a colored post it note to tell bloodline, age, and which cage they came from. I do this because I hatch in clutches of 100 - 120. This may look like I am organized, but assure you I am not.

Back
Top Bottom