1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

new to ordering chicks

Discussion in 'Chicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old' started by woodenfarm, Mar 26, 2018.

1. woodenfarm

woodenfarm Songster

Mar 28, 2017
    TN
    hello,
    I am thinking about ordering some baby chicks to have mailed. I am looking for a certain kinds of breeds and having a hard time finding them in my area.
    This will be the first time for me buying chicks this way. Any sites or recommendations would be great.
    Wanting female easter eggs, olive eggers, ameraucanas and maybe lavender orpingtons

thank you

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's best to use a hatchery closer to you. I have gotten many chicks from My Pet Chicken. Finding the breeds you want this time of year might be a bit harder. Many places run out of the more rare breeds quickly as they also tend not to lay as much. I would get looking soon before you can't find what you want.

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    agree with above... but I wanted to note to you that most hatcheries advertise for Amerucuana, but they aren't actually selling them. They pass EEs off as Amerucuana, and now days I even see them saying 'Amerucuana, also known as Easter Eggers, ...' Those are two different breeds, and if you really want one, I'd find a breeder in your area.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My Pet Chicken does sell actual Ameraucana, they are blues, as well as Easter eggers, so does Meyers hatchery. I don't know about the rest.

Frazzemrat1 likes this.
  5. mustangsallee

mustangsallee Chirping

Mar 14, 2016
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    I ordered from Meyer hatchery. 2 doa, then 10 died by the next day. just cancelled my replacement order. went to a breeder. Too many died. Too hard for me. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: