1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to our flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ria17, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    Hi I have a couple of questions, I am getting a pair of muscovies today and was wondering how long I should keep them in the coop for them to get use to being here? Another question is can you tell the age of the ducks as the person i am getting them off isn't sure of the age.
    Thanks in advance :D

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Are they going to be free ranging? If so, keep them in the coop for 2-4 weeks so they know it's home. You will probably want to clip one wing.
    If they aren't free ranging, and are kept in a fenced area, let them out anytime. If uncovered, clip one wing.
    If you post pictures, I can tell you how old they are.
    Also, do you have other breeds of ducks?

3. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    Thanks I was thinking maybe 2 weeks, they will be free range eventually :D I will try and post pics once i get them, I also have a Rouen male, I have had muscovies before but the pigs ate them and the drake we were given ran off :( I think it was because we didn't keep him in for long.

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well...
    Muscovies are actually not ducks, they are a seperate species. Mallard derived ducks (any breed of duck excluding a Muscovy) are unable to properly mate with other species- namely Muscovies. The offspring they produce (AND THEY WILL PRODUCE) are hybrids, sterile and non-fertile. They can't lay eggs, and can not ever have offspring.
    So please, be aware of this if mixing Mallard derivides and Muscovies.

5. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    thanks for telling me that information as I always just thought they were ducks! It will be female and male muscovy, still have to find a mate for my little Rouen male, not htat he minds really, i am sure he thinks he is a dog :D quacks when the dogs bark or one of the dogs gets out of their pen and follows me around like a little dog too he is soooo cute :D

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Awesome! Just realize any duck- or Muscovy- will mate with any duck or Muscovy. So they do need to be seperated just in case. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    Hi Welshies
    I took a photo of my muscovies, not very good because they wouldn't stand still kept bobbing their heads and hissing at me :D So how do i attach it on here? it's ok i did it, see below :D can you tell the age? thanks :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    They sure look mature to me! They are super cute! I'm guessing 1 or 2 years old. :)

10. ria17

ria17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    manitoba Canada
    Thank you, they are getting use to me :D The female stopped hissing for a few seconds haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by