new to owning chickens. how is my setup. PICS

Kevomxracer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
CT
i am 16 and the chickens are my new hobby. me and a buddy built everything.

i have owned chickens for about 5 months, and have learned alot and im still learning. heres some pics of my coop set up. please comment and tell me what you think. i know i still need nesting boxes and a roost.

the hens are about 5 months old. rhode island red, white leghorn, 2 feather footed cochins.
coop size is 2x3 and chicken wired in area is 6 Long x 3 wide x 3 High

-Very nice!!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Georgia! Looks great you and your friend did a great job! Once you put in a roost the chickens may begin to use your small wooden box as the nest box. So you may not need to build a nest box if you dont want to. I would consider at some point putting hardware mesh on the pen instead of the chicken wire if the chickens are in there at night. I have heard coons and other predators can rip the chicken wire open. Great job! It looks very nice and very functional!

Looks like you and your buddy did a great job! Looking at your pic's I have one suggestion. Looks like there's a space between where your coop box and your run join? It's not a very large space, but some predators like weasels and mink, don't need any more than about an inch of space to squeeze through. I'd close up that space if you can. Good luck with your chickens!

welcome-byc.gif
from Georgia! Looks great you and your friend did a great job! Once you put in a roost the chickens may begin to use your small wooden box as the nest box. So you may not need to build a nest box if you dont want to. I would consider at some point putting hardware mesh on the pen instead of the chicken wire if the chickens are in there at night. I have heard coons and other predators can rip the chicken wire open. Great job! It looks very nice and very functional!
This is true about hexagonal wire...it just is not strong enough to keep raccoons & possums out...let alone the fox & any other predatory animal. Hardware fabric is probably the best route one can take to secure the birds at night. My recommendation is the fabric with the 1/2'' squares. That size is plenty strong enough to keep out any fox or coon or anything else of that size.

Looks like a tajmahal to me! very nicely done. I do agree with the chicken wire from experience. I didnt replace it though, my girls are locked up tight at night in their coop. You will just love watching your girls grow up. Watch out for chicken math though, you will need a bigger coop in no time!

welcome to the 'funny farm' here!

welcome-byc.gif

What a great job for the first time.
bow.gif

Just keep watching and learning, I think you have a natural talent for this. Wait until you start to get eggs!
Keep in touch with us here. I am going to suggest a coat of paint or two to make particle board last longer. Great job!

Last edited:
I might suggest getting the feeders off the ground and about the height of your pullets backs. It looks like they've taken to throwing the food out already. Those feeders don't last long as far as holding enough food for them, so you'll have to look into that sooner or later - but for now just raising them would help.

I also don't see enough water for 4 chickens for a whole day. Be careful with that! Looks like you two did a great job though. Your little flock certainly looks happy! :-D

Back
Top Bottom