new to pheasents

sissneyfamily

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
Greetings,

We acquired a pair of silver pheasants from a local humane society along with some assorted other neglected fowl. We separated the pair into their own run as we didn't really know what to do with them. Here are my questions: #1. can they be allowed to free range? They have been "cooped" since early December and have become very tame. The run is 10' by 20' and is very open with a two foot high sheet metal barrier buried 6 inches deep around the bottom. We live in the middle of 350 acres so are very secluded. They are doing very well I believe which brings me to question #2. The hen has layed 8 eggs so far and seems to be intent on brooding them. I know nothing about incubating eggs and wouldn't even know where to begin. Can I leave the eggs with her and just let nature takes it course or do I need to do something different?

We have grown very found of the pair and want to do what is right and correct for them. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi, in answer to your questions, (1) Pheasants, any species of pheasants do not free range. Silvers are pretty laid-back birds, but the males do become very aggressive during mating season (NOW). Keep your male birds separated so they don't even see each other. I have heard of Silvers being free ranged but this was a case where they were born and raised with chickens. Not a good idea to keep any pheasant housed with chickens. I don't know if you have them in a covered run or not, but that is pretty much a requirement. If they should become spooked, they will take off into the wild blue yonder, no matter how tame. And they are easy prey for various types of predators. Sounds like you have a lot of open land around. Raccoons, possums, coyotes, dogs, etc. are good at digging under your run. If you could go down about 6 inches and place a chicken wire apron extending out about 6 inches, that would sure help. There is a slight chance your hen may brood the eggs, if and only if, she has ample cover and concealment. Incubating these birds is pretty simple. If you would like to PM me I'd be happy to give you some details. Silvers are beautiful and fun birds to raise, I'm sure your enjoy them.

Thank you for your response. We only have the one pair, they were a rescue. We decided to remove the eggs and incubate them. We have a good friend who is accomplished at incubating chickens and guinea fowl so we gave her the eggs. I will keep them contained and just expand the outside portion of the run this summer. I'm still not sure what to do with them, but they are beautiful.

You might mention to your friend who is doing the incubating, in case she's not familiar with pheasants, that Silver pheasants have an incubation period of 25-26 days, as opposed to the 21 for chickens. They are pretty fun birds and I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom