New to quail

brettshomestead

Chirping
Nov 27, 2016
Central oklahoma
So I went to the auction tonight, and in typical fashion impulse bought a 10 quail and about 40 fertile eggs. The guy who put them up for auction said they were has A&M quail. What does that entail? Do they grow quickly or lay more eggs then other breeds? I know they put out monster rabbits that are pretty sought after around my parts.

Here's what I know so far about them. They don't go bloody to hatch eggs, they need a high protein diet of 20-24% minimum, they don't roost, they need about 1sq foot of room a piece, and maybe 3 foot above them to keep from bashing their little heads in, and avocado is poison to them. Also they lay an egg almost every day, all year. Is there anything else I need to know? Are they friendly with chickens? Predator savvy?

As far as i know, the A&ms don't do anything special from other quail breeds besides having white feathers and meat. With the rest of your questions, I think you will have to get some answers from people with more experience than i have.

So I went to the auction tonight, and in typical fashion impulse bought a 10 quail and about 40 fertile eggs. The guy who put them up for auction said they were has A&M quail. What does that entail? Do they grow quickly or lay more eggs then other breeds? I know they put out monster rabbits that are pretty sought after around my parts.

Here's what I know so far about them. They don't go bloody to hatch eggs, they need a high protein diet of 20-24% minimum, they don't roost, they need about 1sq foot of room a piece, and maybe 3 foot above them to keep from bashing their little heads in, and avocado is poison to them. Also they lay an egg almost every day, all year. Is there anything else I need to know? Are they friendly with chickens? Predator savvy?

Ok the Texas A&M is just a type of Coturnix Quail. That was breed to be big (over 10oz) and be more of a white meat. They can not be sexed by color the easiest way is to wait until you see them crow and thats a boy. Its best to keep them in groups of 4 or 5. 1 rooster to 3 or 4 hens. The roosters can and will fight to the death. For them to lay year round you will need to give them extra lighting in the winter 14 hours a day. They are fully grown and start laying at about 8 to 10 weeks. The eggs are better for you than chicken eggs but small, and taste just about the same.

Does anyone know if they do better free range like chickens or confined?
Keep them in some type of cage. If they get out they will be gone. It is good fun to let them out and watch your kids try and chase them down and catch them. A good butterfly net or fishing net makes it a lot easier.

Very good to know. Can't let my 13 dollars run off lol. Can they cohabitate with chickens? They're so small I'm half afraid the bantys will eat them lol
I've used bantams to hatch out quail but after the hen get done raising them I move them into the quail pens. But if you do that put the hen in a cage to raise the quail the other hens will attack them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom