New to quail

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chip76, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:04 AM.

Tags:
  1. Chip76

Chip76 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2019
    Sun City, AZ
    Hello!

A few months ago I rescued some eggs from an abandoned quail nest by my house in Sun City, Arizona. Ten days later, seven adorable baby gambel quail hatched. Little did I know the life changing decision I had made that day.

Having had no experience with birds, animals, or babies of any kind, I have had a lot of questions and learned quite a bit along the way. The postings on this site have helped most of all, so I decided to join.

Thank you all for all the helpful information. It is quite an adventure raising these beautiful birds!

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! I'm in Az. too! Good luck with your quail! Do you still have them?

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Congrats on the successful rescue/hatch!!! Well done! Happy to hear that you found helpful info here :thumbsup

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

6. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Adorable little one in your avatar. How are the quail doing now, hope you're enjoying them!

7. Chip76

Chip76 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2019
    Sun City, AZ
    Thank you for all the greetings! The quail are doing great!

That's my sweet Pedro in the avatar. She has become my permanent companion. Due to health problems since she was born, she has always been much smaller than the others and I've had to keep her separate, so we became pals.

The others turned out to be males. They get along great most of the time. I released them at my parent`s house in Sun City West last week, but they are hanging around their yard so my mom puts them in their pen at night (for protection- and they feel safe there). She also keeps food and water out for them. I'm hoping that will be a good transition for them. There are lots of quail around out there, but right now they are not friendly toward my boys. I hope when winter comes they will be able to join a covey and go enjoy their lives.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations on your very successful hatch. Pedro sounds/looks adorable. Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens.:frow

9. Chip76

Chip76 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2019
    Sun City, AZ
    Yes, I have enjoyed them very much!! They have been nonstop entertainment since the moment they hatched!!

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: