New to quail

Quail are ground birds, so they don't need perches. They're also not likely to use nesting boxes. There are some articles here that might help you, and I'm including a picture of my setup here as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.3
Both my coops are attached to runs. The only time they go into the coop is to eat, or if it is POURING rain. Otherwise they're outside in the run, even at night.
So the coop can pretty much be completely outside? And the section that is inside does it have to be closed off or can it just be like a roof that they can go under

I’m about to get quail and I have seen the pens or coops that people build , my question is, do they need the same room in the run part of their coop as they do in the place where they sleep ( like square footage ) or do they just sleep in the run , I’m very new so I’m not sure how it all works , also do they need roosts or nesting boxes ? Thank you! ( also any other tips or info I might be forgetting would be appreciated!)
they don't need nest boxes they lay eggs all over

So the coop can pretty much be completely outside? And the section that is inside does it have to be closed off or can it just be like a roof that they can go under
I cover half of my pen with Tyvek. That way they have a place to retreat from wind and rain, or just hide from hawks. If the weather gets really bad, I'll cover the rest of the roof with a tarp and just leave the side away from the wind open.

It depends somewhat on the species you are getting, some quail have different needs and environments. Like buttons can't live outside well unless you've got shelter and maybe some heat, bobwhites could live outside pretty well I'm certain. You should provide a hide and an open spot, give them some variation.

I cover half of my pen with Tyvek. That way they have a place to retreat from wind and rain, or just hide from hawks. If the weather gets really bad, I'll cover the rest of the roof with a tarp and just leave the side away from the wind open.
And I’m guessing the top needs to be covered with wire the whole length so they can’t get our correct ?

It depends somewhat on the species you are getting, some quail have different needs and environments. Like buttons can't live outside well unless you've got shelter and maybe some heat, bobwhites could live outside pretty well I'm certain. You should provide a hide and an open spot, give them some variation.
I’m getting jumbo coturnix

When you build it, take into account the weather where you live as well. Coturnix quail are pretty hardy; from what I understand, a light snow doesn't deter them. But you'll have to do more research and hear from the others here. I'm in Hawaii, where drenching rain is normal and snow would be newsworthy. Some quail breeders seem to have a winter setup where the birds are housed indoors part of the year.

Back
Top Bottom